Chapter 27

Renjun woke up early looking at his phone which read 6:26 am. He felt the sun on his face as he stretched his arms. He got up and got himself ready for the day. Last night, Taeyong had told all the agents to be ready in the briefing room by 8:00 am for their mission. Doyoung had already informed him of the gist of their mission today.

As a kid, Renjun always enjoyed Halloween. Living in the human world, he would dress up with his friends and go door-to-door, gathering candies. He remembered the time when life was so simple.

His family had wanted to keep his witch side a secret from him. His parents had moved away from the coven to another small human town, where Renjun grew up. It was his thirteen year old Halloween that had changed his life.

He was dressed up as Peter Pan, entering a forest path with his friends. It was "haunted" with various adults dressed up to scare the kids. As you walked through, you could hear screams of other children from the other end of the path.

Renjun laughed with his friends as they saw some older kids running out scared. They fearlessly entered the path, knowing that none of the scares were real anyways.

But that year, one of the creatures were real. There was a vampire, hidden inside, waiting for a good prey to attack. When he popped out to scare Renjun and his friends, his friends had screamed, scared by his realistic features, particularly the sharp teeth protruding from his mouth. Renjun's friends had ran out the forest, leaving the boy behind. Renjun simply tilted his head, looking at the vampire's red eyes.

"You don't scare me." Renjun told him, causing a look of confusion. "But I really like your costume." The vampire smiled widely, slowly walking towards the young boy, licking his lips.

"You'll make a wonderful meal. I haven't tasted young human blood in so long." The vampire was only a foot away. Renjun began stepping back, but the vampire only took bigger steps forward. As Renjun's back hit a tree trunk, he eyes began to quiver.

He watched as a door suddenly opened and four figures dressed in black walked out, each with a silver pin on their chest. He heard the vampire swear under his breath as he turned around to face them.

"You're a little far from home, aren't you?" One of the figures said.

The vampire simply grunted in response.

"You have two options. Give up and simply turn yourself in. Or, we could fight, you can lose, and we'll still turn you in." Another figure, an older girl said to him.

The vampire paused for a moment, before turning away to run. As he took his first step, it seemed as though his body had froze. The older girl smiled.

"You could also try running away, but I wouldn't advise doing that with a witch around." She motioned to her peers who handcuffed him and threw him on their back, taking him away. It was then when the older looked up, seeing Renjun.

"Did you see all of that?" She asked him. Renjun nodded slowly. As two of her friends took the vampire away, she called the last one to come to her.

"We need to erase his memories. He saw all of that." She told the older boy beside her who nodded. The older boy reached out to touch Renjun's head, closing his eyes. As soon as the fingers touched his head, he opened his eyes, smiling at his friend.

"I don't think I can." He said to her.

"Why not?" She tilted her head, confused.

"Because he's not human."

The three of them walked towards the exit of the forest path. When Renjun exited, he saw his friends, who were clearly worried for him. They must have called his parents as well, as they were there by his friends. He gave them a big hug, smiling brightly. Their faces fell as soon as they saw the two figures behind their son. It was that night when Renjun was told that he was not the regular kid he thought he was. Once the school year finished, his family moved to the town containing the Witch Coven.

Renjun sighed as he put the picture frame down, the photo of him dressed up as Peter Pan with his friends inside it. He placed it beside the one of him, Doyoung, and Sora, taken on his first day at the Academy. He put his black leather jacket on, putting his pin on it as he left for the agency.

...

Jaehyun was leaning on the wall of the female dorms, waiting for Sora. They had spent the night in his room but she forgot her pin in her room so she went to go grab it before heading over so he decided to follow her.

Jaehyun smiled as he saw the familiar bob of hair coming down the stairs.

"Got it!" Sora sung as she snaked her arm through Jaehyun's.

"Shall we go?" He asked her. She nodded, smiling. The two seniors made their way to the glass building of the agency.

...

Rena crossed her arms as she leaned back. The agents had gathered in the command room as Doyoung read off their groups and locations, Kun handing each of them their silver bracelets, microphones, and earpieces. After she put them on, she rotated her wrist rapidly, back and forth, allowing the bracelet to project a screen on her forearm.

"Please keep your mics off unless you need something." Taeyong told the group. If you see or sense anything out of the ordinary, please go check it out. Our priority is to keep humans safe tonight." He clapped his hands, finishing his talk. "You're dismissed now, please head to your posts after you're done with the weapons room."

...

Jaemin sipped his americano with eight expresso shots contently. He shared the table with Rena, Renjun, and Haechan. The four of them had been grouped together for the mission.

"I don't know how you drink that, it tastes awful." Rena said to him, shaking her head. Jaemin simply smiled back at her.

"At least it won't make you sick. If I drink that latte, my body will regret it later." He retorted back at her, causing Renjun to roll his eyes.

"What bad thing did I do to be stuck with these two." He said to himself, causing Rena to smack her best friend on the arm as he winced in pain.

"It's pretty early, isn't it?" Rena said to the group. "Will anything even happen during the day?"

"It's a Saturday so there's a celebration in the park." Haechan told them, looking at his phone. "It starts at 10."

Jaemin looked at his watch, which read 9:43 am.

"Let's head over in a bit then."

...

Jeno looked at Jiwoo, who was clearly worried. The girl was looking down, fiddling with her fingers. Beside them, Seri and Taeyong were deep in conversation. They were with the two of them, for Jiwoo's protection.

The four agents were standing on the streets as a parade went by, showcasing the different costumes and floats made by the members of the city.

"See anything out of the ordinary?" Jeno asked her, trying to break the tension. She shook her head.

"Maybe you should distract yourself. It'll take a load off your back." Jeno suggested pointing to the parade as a large float went by. Jiwoo looked up, smiling as she looked it.

"I guess that's pretty cool." She said to him.

...

"Hyung, do you smell that?" Lucas asked Johnny, sniffing in the air. Mark and Jungwoo turned to face the two.

"Yeah, it smells like..." Johnny's voice trailed off as they walked through the crowd, noses in the air.

"Vampire." Mark finished as he spotted the red-eyed creature, looking for it's next prey.

———————————————————————————
I watched NCT Dream's Puzzle Piece this morning ~
It was so beautiful :)