Chapter 7

Nick

I hated to admit it, but I was confused as hell over the whole situation. I thought everything was crystal clear. Now, everything was all topsy-turvy in my head.

After eating, I disposed of everything and cleaned up the kitchen before heading to the office. Along the way, I noticed that Elisha had left her bag out on the living room. I knew I would be sleeping on the couch so I took her duffel bag into Newton's room for her so she could sleep on his bed after her search. What I didn't expect to find when I walked in was the sight of her bent over, sobbing her heart out. Shocked beyond all else, at first all I could do was stare. This was not the cry of a selfish bitch who heartlessly broke up with a boyfriend who adored her.

This was a cry of a very battered heart and a wounded soul.

All the angry thoughts I had about her vanished as I made my way to her side and pulled her into my arms. She was shaking so hard, her breaths coming out in uneven gulps. It was pure misery watching her like that. I was so used to seeing her in control all the time. This was a stark contrast to her usual demeanor.

When her sobs gradually subsided, I began to be aware of how close we were sitting there on the carpet. My hand was absently stroking her bare arm in comfort, but suddenly I was thinking how soft snd smooth the skin was, how warm she felt in my arms, how right it was to hold her like this. Her scent surrounded me, a mixture of something floral and distinctly feminine and exclusively her own. It was heady and highly intoxicating. I had to resist burrowing my nose into her thick hair and inhaling her fresh shampoo. Good grief, what was happening to me?

When she finally drew away from me, I reluctantly let her go and left the room, too scared of the way I was feeling. Running my hands through my hair, I quickly went to the living room and paced around the coffee table. I was probably just stressed out. Yeah, I was worried about Newt so I hardly slept at all since hearing about his disappearance. That would explain why I was so wired and strange emotions were overwhelming me.

I had to do something to get my mind off these lascivious thoughts about the Ice Princess. Grabbing my cellphone from my pocket, I dialed Valerie's number and sat down on the couch, exhausted.

"Hey, tiger, did you miss me?" Valerie purred after the fourth ring.

Smiling, I said, "yeah, more than you know. What are you doing?"

"As usual. Dancing, dieting, stretching," her voice dropped to a hoarse whisper. "Imagining you naked underneath me. Do you like that?"

For the first time, the vision and her words did nothing to me, but I chuckled lightly, "of course."

She continued throatily, "mmm, I remember what we did the night you told me you had to go. How I wish I'm there with you right now, my lips and tongue doing delicious things to your hot body..."

I tried to imagine everything about Valerie. Her supple body, long legs that just wouldn't quit, her sexy smile...but somehow my thoughts kept returning to a certain honey blond haired woman with hurt and pain in her eyes. However, I could not let Valerie know that, so I said, in a voice that I hoped sounded seductive, "well, I wish you were here with me too, Val."

She giggled, "come back soon, darling, and we can continue where we left off. I can't wait to hear you moan my name."

Suddenly I wished I hadn't called her. It wasn't her fault. It was all me. I sighed, "me, too. I gotta go. Talk to you later." Disconnecting the call, I placed my phone on the coffee table and leaned back on the couch, closing my eyes in frustration. What the hell was wrong with me?

"Hey."

My eyes flew open and landed on Elisha, looking so sweet and adorable in her baby pink tank top and blue pajama bottoms, her feet bare, standing on the entrance to the living room. Her face was devoid of makeup, and I was astonished to see it so flawless and smooth. She actually didn't wear too much makeup at all if she looked this great without it. Her long hair was free from its ponytail and cascading down to her lower back in shiny waves. I wondered if it was as silky to touch as it looked...