Chapter 36

Elisha

This was going to be a disaster.

Newton had driven me home last night, after we'd tried calling Nick for hours on end. How could he not trust me? Didn't he understand the depth of my feelings for him? How could he think that I would still love Newton when every beat of my heart was crying out for him?

Newton had found me on the parking lot, where I had been clawing at the ground and bawling hysterically, and we drove back together. He tried consoling me and cheering me up but it was no use. I was beyond caring. My heart was no longer beating at this point.

Now, we were expected at the church for the wedding preparation. I looked in the mirror and grimaced at the sight. Untamed hair, red puffy swollen eyes, red nose, blotchy cheeks, dry lips,...what hope did I have with Nick? Heck, he probably wouldn't show, but I knew he would. He was the best man. No matter how things stood between us, he wouldn't shirk his responsibilities. He was that kind of man.

Taking a warm shower to soothe my tired body, I scrubbed at my face and methodically went through the motions of shampooing and rinsing. I was functioning on autopilot, going to the closet to put on a white button down blouse and blue jeans. Grabbing the garment bag that held my gown and my shoe box, I went out of my apartment and headed for the church on foot.

At least Meredith was going to appear the blooming bride. She was so elated to hear that Newton was coming back last night. I couldn't even muster up a smile, although I was pleased that she would be happy. And Newton was starting to get excited over their coming baby. They would both have their happy ending.

I, on the other hand, would just have to suck it up today, face Nick and the crowd, act like nothing was wrong and my heart wasn't broken, then come home and drown my sorrows in alcohol. I wasn't much of a drinker so it shouldn't take me long to pass out. That was the plan.

Arriving at the church, I saw that everyone was running around in a frenzy of last minute preparation panic. The hairdresser and makeup artist were hurriedly working on several people all at once, shouting commands and comments to each other occasionally. The rest of the entourage were almost ready. I was apparently late because I was still driving back with Newton and we both had not slept a wink at all last night.

"There you are!" Mrs. McAllister suddenly grabbed my arm and spun me around to face her. Her sharp calculating eyes took in my expression and appearance and her delicate eyebrows arched upward, "my dear, are you alright?"

I swallowed hard and nodded, not trusting my voice to work. She stared at me keenly, "right. So what really happened last night?"

I looked down and was about to reply when Meredith shrieked and we all turned to her, startled. She was gazing at me in horror, her hair up in curlers and her makeup perfect. She was still in jeans and a polo. Hurrying to my side, she asked, "what happened to you?"

I flushed as all eyes seemed to focus on me and my haggard appearance, "nothing. I just couldn't sleep last night. Excited much, I guess."

Meredith laughed gaily, linking her arm through mine, "come on, we have to make you irresistible! Who knows? Maybe Nick will pop the question today and we'll have our babies together!"

My heart sank even more at her words. There was never going to be a baby for Nick and I, let alone a wedding. Our relationship had been doomed from the start. But I put on a fake smile for Meredith's sake. Today was her wedding day. She was marrying the man she loved. I had to be brave and not ruin this for her.

Mrs. McAllister let Meredith lead me to the chair where the makeup artist was impatiently tapping his foot at me, her shrewd eyes taking in everything. I had no doubt that she already knew what happened. After all, Nick was staying at her place in the meantime. She probably hated me as much as he did, after hearing his side of the story.

I sat down on the chair steady as a statue while the experts twisted my hair this way and that and the makeup artist worked on my face, after shooting me a horrified look when he saw my face this morning. Luckily they were both too busy to ask any questions. When I was done, I stepped into the other room to change into my gown and shoes. Looking at myself in the mirror, I sighed. At least I looked presentable. It was amazing what makeup could do these days when properly applied.

Returning to the main room, I assisted Meredith in changing into her gown. When she finally turned to us after I zipped her up, we all gasped. She truly looked radiant in her Vera Wang ivory colored gown that cinched her waist and emphasized her chest, which had grown a little due to her pregnancy. The dress flowed effortlessly to her silver sandaled feet with small Swarovski diamonds glinting from the bodice down to the hips area. Her veil covered her face all the way from the crown of her head to the floor, but it couldn't hide the happiness shining on her luminous face.

"You look beautiful," I whispered to her, hugging her.

She laughed, "thank you. Thank you for everything." She squeezed me gently, and I knew she wasn't merely thanking me for complimenting her.

"You're welcome," I murmured.

The wedding coordinator Mrs. McAllister hired waved us towards the church doors, "okay, everyone, the moment of truth is almost upon us. Let's gather here and pose for a few more pictures then we'd better line up outside."

I followed her, carrying my bouquet along with Meredith's so that she could hold up her gown and walk better. As we fell in line, I asked carefully, "are the men in the entourage all here too?"

She nodded with a business-like air, "yes. We are all ready for the wedding."

So Nick was here too. I hoped he and Newton had a chance to talk. When he wouldn't listen to my explanation last night, I had given up hope for us. But now, maybe he would listen to his own brother telling him that nothing really happened. Feeling slightly optimistic, though I still hurt over him not trusting me enough, I went to Meredith, where I had to stand for the pictures, and smiled at the photographer. I just had to make us work. I loved him too much to lose him over something as trivial as this.

After our pictures were taken, the wedding coordinator popped her head through the doors and smiled at Meredith, "time to walk down the aisle, my dear."

Meredith grabbed my arm in a panic, "wow. This is really happening, isn't it? I'm really getting married to Newton McAllister."

I laughed and patted her hand, "yes, you are. Now come with me, I have to help you with your gown."

We went out of the room we had been using for our makeup and hairdo and walked together to the side exit towards the front doors of the church. I felt butterflies fluttering in my stomach at the thought of seeing Nick. We had to walk down the aisle together. What would I say to him to convince him of the truth?

When we reached the front doors, the groomsmen were all standing there already. Newton was inside at the front, looking at us and waiting for his bride. I glanced at him and he caught my eye. A flash of regret and pain crossed his features for a second before he grinned at me and shot me a thumbs up. Confused, I raised my eyebrows questioningly when I was suddenly yanked to the side by the wedding coordinator. For a petite woman, she was pretty strong.

"Stand here, dear. We'll handle the gown," she chirped, putting me right in front of Meredith. When I turned to her, she was already gone. Turning to my other side, I came face to face with Nick. Oh, my giddy aunt.