Chapter 37

Nick

I couldn't believe how gorgeous Elisha looked. I had seen her during the prenup shoot wearing the same dress and her hair up in the same style, with the same makeup. But still, she managed to take my breath away with her beauty. Was this how it would always be for me? To always find something about her to love more and more each day?

The day had dawned bright and sunny, and I had to drag myself out of bed, where I had spent the rest of the night tossing and turning, not getting any sleep at all. The scenes kept replaying on and on in my head; calling her up and listening to her say she was home, driving to the marina, seeing them both cuddled on his bed, the looks on their faces as they gazed into each other, her sobbing explanation, the sight of her as I drove away. It all tore at me until I was all raw and bloody. And now I had to face her and be part of the wedding from hell. Unless Newton called it off because he had Elisha again. The thought made me so nauseous I had to bolt to the bathroom, knocking over an empty bottle of vodka beside my bed, and heave into the toilet, throwing up all of my dinner. I didn't know which was worse, seeing them today and knowing they were carrying on or the wedding being canceled because they were together. Either one made my head ache, and my heart break all over again.

Finally summoning up the strength to shower, I went through the motions of getting ready, not really caring how I looked anymore. I had a devil of a hangover, my heart was throbbing in time with my temples, and I was still looking a little green. Putting on my tux and shoes, I ran a hand through my wet hair and headed out.

"Nicholas?" Mother's voice stopped me as I went for the front door.

I turned and found her sitting on the couch, all ready for the wedding in her cream colored gown, her hair up in a complicated bun, her face made up. She looked beautiful. Her eyes clouded when she saw me and she stood up, "you look sick."

"I feel sick," I commented. "Can I skip?"

She shook her head, smiling slightly, "you used to say that when you were in grade school, when you were being bullied and Newton had already gone off to high school."

Shoving my hands into my pockets, I hung my head, "yeah, well..."

"He didn't cancel the wedding," she stated calmly, going to stand beside me.

I frowned, "so they'll just have a sordid affair while he's married and wait for a divorce?"

Mother brushed a lint off my shoulder and straightened my bowtie, which I'd carelessly tied together, "no. From what I gathered while we talked this morning, Newton is prepared to make a fresh start with Meredith. It seems that Elisha had talked him into giving this marriage a chance."

I was incredulous, "are you certain?"

Mother nodded, "yes. I know when you boys lie to me. And this time, Newton was sincere. He appears to be a changed man. He's actually looking forward to being a father too."

Now the wind was knocked out of me. I collapsed onto the nearest chair, my heart starting to pound with hope. Could it be possible?

She sat on the armrest of the chair and touched my hair gently, "Nicholas, I don't know what happened last night, but I think you may have jumped into the wrong conclusion about Newton and Elisha. He still loves her, true, but she doesn't reciprocate his feelings anymore. He wants to be with her, yes, but she doesn't want to be with him. She wants to be with you."

My heart soared at her words, but a niggling doubt still refused to die down, "but what about when I arrived in the Shadow?"

"I reckon they were merely clearing the air between them, having closure as you kids call it these days. Otherwise, he would still be haunted by her and not look forward to this wedding with Meredith," mother concluded.