Chapter 30

Elisha

I was shocked to find Nick at my door. He looked as handsome as ever, still in his tuxedo with his hair wild like he had run his hands over it repeatedly. I resisted the urge to run my hands through the silky strands and wondered why he was here. When he asked me that question, I was surprised and disappointed that he would think I still cared for his brother that way. Didn't he see how infatuated with him I was? Didn't he know that I had wanted to punch Newton myself for what he said awhile ago after the photo shoot? And I wanted to kill him for hurting Nick.

When I'd looked into his gorgeous sea-green eyes, I had seen a glimpse of the same torture that he went through in our time apart. I saw the tears that he shamelessly let me see, none of his pride in the way. I had felt the exact same way, all the sleepless and lonely nights, and I had seen something that I thought and never expected I would see in their depths.

Love. Pure love.

I was so stunned, I staggered forward, and he caught me in his strong arms and held me up. I was shaking with the realization that this quiet, thoughtful gentleman could love me, a broken girl with nothing to offer him but her heart. It was like a fairy tale dream come true. I choked on my words, but he understood. He let out a relieved laugh, his face beaming with joy, and hugged me tight in his arms, then swooped me up bridal style and carried me inside my flat, his foot pushing the door shut. Mittens let out a happy bark, like he understood what was happening between Nick and I, and he followed us inside.

Once we were in, he put me down on the floor and cupped my face with his warm hands, his eyes shining. "I love you very much, Elisha Winters, and I'm so damn happy that you feel the same way. I am never letting you go, you hear? No more time apart. It's been killing me."

I laughed, "I'm not going anywhere, Nick."

He growled, "watching that stupid photographer touching you was pure hell for me. And always wondering if you still loved my brother...you don't know the tortures I endured all this time."

"The photographer? He was just putting me where I had to stand, Nick. And I'm completely over Newton. I knew it when I couldn't get you out of my head, and heart. Not even Newton affected me this way before," I said honestly.

He placed his forehead against mine, his eyes closed, "what fools we were. We could have been together weeks ago."

I grinned, "no. I had to see if it was a rebound thing first. I was scared and in denial of my feelings for you. If you had told me before you left for London, I would have dismissed this instantly. Plus I had to get over Newton first. It was the only way for me to be certain of how I felt for you. I didn't want you to be just a rebound."

He captured my lips with his, letting me feel all his love, his feelings and emotions, and I responded equally. My toes curled on the floor and he lifted me in his arms again, holding me up effortlessly while he kissed me so that we were the same height. I clutched at his broad shoulders, not because I was afraid that he would let me fall, but because my head was spinning from his touch, his smell, his kiss. It was all so intoxicating.

When we finally drew apart, we were both breathless. Nick placed me down again and dropped a gentle kiss on my forehead, making me feel cherished. "I love you, Eli."

I smiled at the simplicity of his words, yet they held the same significance as a million sentences. "I love you too, Nicky."

He laughed, "only you can get away with calling me that."

I chuckled, "I bet your name is Nicky, because you're so fine."

He guffawed this time, "did you just use a Johnny Bravo line on me? And I do believe it was Mickey, not Nicky."

Snuggling deeper into his arms, I said, "you're right on both counts, butI can't find it in me to care. I'm so happy. I never thought I can be this happy again."

"Me too," he said quietly, holding me tighter.

I led him to the couch and we sat down together, me leaning my head on his shoulder and he holding my hand. Mittens curled up between our feet. "So what happens now?" I asked tentatively.

He squeezed my hand to reassure me, "I tell my mother I won't be going back to London. The branch has the best board of officers, whom I personally handpicked to lead it. They're all good men. I stay here to help mother, since Newt will be busy with fatherhood and she will need someone to spearhead the main office."

"Sounds like you have given this a lot of thought," I commented happily, proud of his business acumen.

"Of course. This is my future too," he answered. "I can never ask you to fly to London with me because I know you're still worried about your father and your family is here after all. Our life is here."

Tears of gratitude at his selflessness filled my eyes and I couldn't speak. He immediately sat up straighter and looked at me with concern and worry, "hey, what's wrong? Did I hurt you?"

I shook my head and pulled him back to hug him. When we drew apart, I smiled at him, "nothing. It's just... This is the first time someone has always thought about me and my situation before anything else and put me as his top priority. Newt was a wonderful boyfriend, don't get me wrong, but sometimes he ignores me and makes decisions based on his own opinions and choices."

He smiled gently at me and brushed a strand of hair out of my face, "this won't be the first time, either. From now on, I will always put you above anyone and anything else."

"And I you, Nicholas McAllister. I'm yours," I murmured shyly.

His eyes darkened and he leaned down to kiss me again, his arms tightening around me. I kissed him back, savoring the sweetness of the moment. He lowered me gently on the couch, his lips never leaving mine, his hands exploring my body slowly. I shivered at his touch and he drew away reluctantly with a ragged breath.

"Too soon?" He asked quietly.

I smiled, glad that he understood I wasn't ready for that kind of intimacy yet, "I'm sorry."

"Don't be. You have every reason to say no," he said, pulling me in for another hug. "Besides, I think I'm ready for dinner then I have to go. Still a bit jetlagged."

"Oh, right. Come on, I'll fix you up something to eat," I stood up and led him to the kitchen. Mittens woke up and followed us around, his tail wagging.

He chuckled, "hey, that wasn't me hinting at crashing here for dinner. I can take you out someplace nice." He crouched down to pet Mittens, who swiped at his hand with his tongue.

I placed my hands on my hips in mock offense, "are you insinuating that I can't cook that you have to take me out somewhere?"

Nick grinned mischievously, "well, if the shoe fits..."

I grabbed the frying pan and waved it at him like a weapon, "oooh, you're going to pay for that. I have half the mind to throw you out and let you starve."

"Noooo please, I'll behave. Just don't throw me out," he begged, holding me in his arms.

I let him kiss me, when suddenly I felt him wrench the frying pan out of my grasp. Startled, I looked at him waving it in the air above him victoriously, a broad smile on his face. "Why, you sneaky thief!" I exclaimed, jumping up to try and wrestle him for it.

He held it out of my reach, "nope. I'm old-fashioned in the sense that I don't want my woman working too hard, even if it's just for dinner. Go change and I'll take you out."

I felt a thrill go through me at the words "my woman". Gosh, was that who I was now? His woman? It was a heady thought. I grinned at him, "it's not too much work, Nick. I can just defrost some chicken and that's it. I know you're tired and it would be nice just to stay in and relax here. Unless you really want to go someplace."

Nick gave me his heart-stopping smile, the smile I fell in love with, "anywhere is fine as long as I'm with you."