Chapter 40

Elisha

Our entrance was greeted by applause from Newton and Merdith, and a scowl on the wedding coordinator's thunderous face. We slipped into our seats as if nothing was amiss and made it just in time for the emcee to call on us for our speeches. Newton appeared touched by Nick's words that he would always be his idol, his hero, even after he made mistakes. They were bonded forever as brothers, and that wasn't ever going to change. Meredith also cried during my speech. I'd promised her that we would be friends forever, no matter what happened. Our friendship had withstood the test of fidelity and love, and we had learned to forgive, meaning I forgave her for having her affair with Newton, and she forgave herself for hurting me. She did it out of love for him, after all. I understood that now. She had been in love with Newton for a long time.

After the speeches and toasting, the newlyweds danced their first dance on the floor. I watched them happily when I felt Nick touch my arm and whisper, "so can we make our escape now?"

I blushed when his touch reminded me of what had nearly happened in the lounge earlier. I was about to agree when Newton appeared behind my seat, "may I have this dance?"

Nick looked like he was about to protest, then thought better of it, "be my guest."

Newton smirked, "afraid I'll steal her away from you?"

Nick frowned and I laughed, "quit it, you two. Come on, Newt. One last dance before you step out of my life completely."

He led me to the dance floor and drew me close for our dance, "you really think I'll disappear from your life completely? "

I began to feel uncomfortable again, "well..."

He laughed, "relax, Eli. What I meant was, soon you'll be my sister-in-law. You can't expect us not to see each other again completely, as you so aptly put it."

I relaxed with him, "sister-in-law, huh. We haven't even had the chance to talk."

Newton grinned, "he loves you like no one else, Eli. You should have seen him when I first saw him today. He was a disaster. Obviously he didn't sleep at all last night. I'd never seen him this distraught over anyone before. You're the first and only one he's this intense about."

Warmth spread throughout me at his words, "you really think so?"

"I know so," he stated, twirling me around. When he pulled me back, he tightened his arms and whispered softly, "I really am going to miss you, Eli. But I know this is right. Me and Meredith...we have a connection this time. And it's all thanks to you."

I smiled, "I'm glad things worked out for you both."

He nodded and leaned down to kiss my cheek, "thank you again. For everything."

"Hey, that's what friends are for," I murmured just as the music stopped and we stepped back.

Nick appeared and took my arm, "okay, that's one dance down. We gotta go now, Newt. Great wedding, by the way."

Newton guffawed and waved us away, "your patience is that of a saint. But I understand your urgency. Get lost, both of you, before I throw you out of my wedding. I have to go find my bride."

I shook his hand, "take care, Newt, and enjoy your honeymoon."

Nick led me away and we hurried to his car before anyone else could interrupt us again. Once inside, I buckled up and asked, "wait! What about your mother? How will she get home?"

He started the engine, "I already talked with her while you and Newt were dancing and she said she can hitch a ride back to her place in the company car. We are totally free to go this time."

"Oh, okay," I settled into my seat. "So where will we go?"

He looked over at me, "where do you want to go?"

I laughed at him, "you know what? Suddenly, I don't feel the urgent need to talk anymore. We're fine, aren't we?" I reached out to squeeze his hand.

He chuckled, "you're right. But still..." He traced a circular pattern on my palm and I shivered slightly, "I'm so sorry for doubting you, Eli. I promise to always trust you and not jump into the wrong conclusions."

"And I'm sorry I shut you out and lied to you about going to find Newton on my own," I said contritely.

He shook his head, "you don't have anything to apologize for. I love you very much, Eli."

My heart soared at his words and the look in his eyes, "I love you too, Nicky."

He smiled and kissed me. And I knew our journey together hadn't ended yet. No, it had just begun, for the rest of our lives.