Chapter 13

Nick

"I've never met a girl who hates shopping with a vengeance like you do. Seriously, what is wrong with you?" I complained as I hauled Mittens' carrier into Newton's car.

She scowled, "it's not the shopping per se, it's the people you have to push and fight over, the endless lines at the fitting room, not to mention at the counter, then the haggle over some sale items. It's just not worth it."

"But look at the great price we got for all of Mittens' stuff," I gestured to everything we bought. We had gotten the carrier, a basket for him to sleep on, a litter box, dog food, food and water bowls, collar and leash, comb and brush for his hair, dog shampoo, and even some doggy toys, all for a great bargain! And the ingrate was still frowning!

Elisha blew her hair off her face, "I was willing to pay the asking price-"

"Yeah, but I got you a big discount for everything! A simple thank you would be appreciated!" I said exasperatedly.

"Alright already! Thank you! Happy now?" Elisha groaned out.

I grinned, "much." We got in the car and I drove us out to the marina.

She shrugged, "but I could have gotten us a bigger discount if I agreed to go out on a date with him."

I stepped on the brakes and turned to her in disbelief, "you WHAT!?"

She burst out laughing, "kidding! I'm only kidding!"

Now I was the one scowling as I continued driving, "that wasn't funny."

"I thought it was," she chuckled mischievously.

Shaking my head, I had to laugh. Man, I loved this woman.

Wait, what?

Swallowing nervously, I gripped the steering wheel tight. No no no. Impossible. I didn't love her. Of course not. She was just my brother's ex-girlfriend, who was my friend. I cared about her, I liked her, but I didn't love her. Nonsense. Wonder where that thought came from? It was insane.

"So what did you get us for dinner?" Elisha asked, not knowing the direction of my thoughts. She had sent me to get dinner after we went shopping for my clothes and I dropped her off at the clinic to check on Mittens. I just grabbed the quickest food available in order to get back to the clinic and rescue her from the good ol' doc's advances. The sight of him drooling over her was enough to make me want to smash his head against something hard. He was so obviously flirting with her, it was sickening. And my reaction to it was not normal, I knew, but she was my brother's ex-girlfriend. It was logical that I was still overprotective of her, right? Right.

"Pizza. Hope you don't mind," I answered with what I hoped was a calm voice.

She grinned, "I love pizza!"

Relaxing, finally convinced that my mind was just exhausted from our journey, I said, "well, we're almost at the marina. You just grab Mittens and I'll take care of the rest."

We parked the car and got out. She took Mittens' carrier, where he was sleeping inside, and hoisted her duffel bag onto her shoulder. She reached out to get the pizza box, but I beat her to it. I grabbed the bag containing my clothes, some food for Mittens and his new bowl, and the sodas. Together we walked into the main entrance of the Yacht Club. I was still slightly distracted by my wayward thoughts during the drive here.

The receptionist looked up at us and smiled, "welcome to the Yacht Club. How may I help you?"

I took out my wallet and flashed her my membership card, "I'd like to go aboard my brother's boat, the Shadow."

She fluttered her lashes, "of course, Mr. McAllister. Here is the key. Enjoy your sail." She brushed her hand across my palm as I took the key.

Elisha snorted, and I turned to her, startled, "excuse me?"

She shook her head and walked away, "let's just go."

I followed after her in confusion, "is anything wrong?"

"That girl was totally flirting with you, in case you didn't notice," Elisha said testily.

"She was?" I glanced back at the receptionist who gave me a little wave and winked at me. Okay, that was totally flirting. "I didn't notice."

She snorted again, "sure, you didn't."

"I didn't," I insisted. "I was thinking."

She grinned, "was that a new experience for you?"

I laughed, "okay, fine, you big joke. Come on, let's get to the Shadow before our pizza grows cold."

We went to where the boat was anchored at the dock. Gingerly stepping onto the deck, we looked around. The lights were off in the cabins. Sighing, I opened the door and we entered the galley, which appeared empty.

"I guess he's not here," she said quietly.

"Yup," I turned on the lights. The Shadow wasn't too big, but it wasn't too small either. It basically had a big galley for eating and another cabin for sleeping and the basics. Newton had bought it when he made his first million. Luckily he didn't name it after his girlfriend.

Elisha put down her things and sat on the stool near the table, "well, it looks like we're paying Ben Johnson a visit tomorrow. Do you know where he lives?"

I placed my things on the table and took out my phone. Scrolling down my contacts, I found Ben Johnson's address, "he still lives in the city?"

She shook her head, "he moved after he married Louise. They live in the countryside now."

I groaned aloud, "great. Another road trip. Well, nothing we can do further tonight. Let's have our dinner and then it's lights out."

Elisha stood up, "I'll get the plates. You go freshen up for a bit before dinner."

Nodding, I grabbed my bag of clothes and went out to the adjacent door of the cabin. Turning on the light, I decided to take a quick shower. Going inside the bathroom, I started taking my shirt off when I saw something hanging from the hook behind the door. I reached out to hold it. It was a woman's bra. A fiery red lacy bra.

It was probably Elisha's. She must have left it when they were here last. I fingered the garment, trying to imagine the woman next door wearing something as racy as this. I glanced at the size. Whoa she wore a size 38D?

I wasn't any boobs expert, but I had seen Elisha's breasts, (and what spectacular breasts they were! Not too big, but not too small either for her slight build. They were perfect, just like she was. Wait, what? Stop thinking about that! Focus!) and they were not that big. They were probably 36B, which suited her slight frame amazingly (I mentally slapped myself to stop imagining her naked breasts). Which would lead to the conclusion that this bra was not hers.

So whose bra was it?

Newton, what the hell were you doing?