Chapter 31

Nick

I was grinning from ear to ear. Who wouldn't be? The skies were as perfectly blue as Elisha's eyes, with not a cloud in sight. The breeze was blowing perfectly cool and calm. The birds were perfectly chirping their perfect happy tune. The trees were blossoming perfectly with verdant lushness. Everything was perfect. It was true, what they said. Love could really make you look at the world through rose-colored glasses, and everything appeared perfect in my mind.

I was standing by the church doors, anticipating the arrival of my girlfriend. Mmm, girlfriend. I liked the sound of that. I hadn't seen her since last night when we had dinner at her place then I went home to find mother had waited up for me to interrogate me on what happened, although after she took one glance at the silly grin on my face, she figured it all out. She was happy for me, and we discussed the idea of my not returning to London, which thankfully she allowed. I had to go back after the wedding though, to finish up everything there and pack my things. Then I would be flying back here and staying for good. With the girl of my dreams right beside me.

"You're looking like Mr. sunshine," Newton grumbled, his sarcastic voice suddenly behind me.

Turning around, I quickly scanned his face and was glad that, aside from a slight bruise near his mouth, he looked normal, "hey, Newt."

"Where were you last night? Mother specifically told us to meet her for dinner," he said, scowling at me.

"I had to take care of some business emergency in the office," I lied, not wanting him to know that I was at Elisha's place. I had a feeling it would send him off into conniptions again.

His expression darkened, "so what? You're mother's new golden boy now?"

I sighed, "Newt, I'm not the new anything. Mother is merely ensuring that the integrity and quality of McAllister Enterprises will not suffer any blows while you will be busy with Meredith and your coming baby. We're merely brainstorming some contingency plans for the moment when you will have to devote some of your time to your new family."

He glared at me, "I will not be working under you."

I shook my head, "we work side by side, as always, Newt. You are not my boss and neither am I yours."

That mollified him somewhat, and he relaxed his aggressive stance slightly, "and don't you forget that."

I rolled up my eyes, my buoyant mood not dampened by his anger. Suddenly I spotted Elisha walking up the church steps, wearing a simple sundress with blue and pink flowers. She looked as fresh as a daisy, and I thanked my lucky stars once more that she was finally mine. I could feel the same silly grin make its way onto my face, but I didn't care. I was in love with the most gorgeous girl in the world. I had every right to be crazy happy.

Before I could move to greet her, Newton shouldered me out of his way and went to her, "hey, beautiful."

Elisha smiled politely at him, "hello, Newt." Turning her back on him, she gazed up at me, her face beaming, "hi, Nicky."

My heart swelled with happiness as I returned her smile with an equally radiant one of my own, "hi, Eli."

"Did you get a good night's sleep?" She asked gently.

"Yup, but it would have been better if you were beside me," I murmured tenderly, catching her hand in mine and kissing her cheek., which flamed at my words.

Newton suddenly stepped in front of us, his mouth open in disbelief, his eyes going from me to Elisha to our intertwined hands. "You've got to be shitting me," he muttered.

"Watch your language," I scolded, wrapping an arm around Elisha's waist. This was going to get ugly, and I wanted her to know that I was here for her and I would never allow him to hurt her again.

"You and her?" Newton laughed scornfully, "are you really that desperate, Eli?"

She frowned, and I shot him a warning look, "Newt, don't."

"Don't what? Don't criticize? Don't say the truth? Fine. I'm sooo happy for you both that you've found this...this thing between you two. What a beautiful couple you make," he said with false sweetness, every word sounding like brittle glass.

"Newt," Elisha started, but he interrupted her with a wave of his hand.

"I expected something better, Eli. I mean, come on! You really want this imitation of me? Just because you can't marry me anymore, you're settling for this replica who has always wanted to be just like me all his life? My nerdy brother who couldn't get a single girl in school to go out with him? Who had to have me always look out for him? And who worships me to the point that he's pretending to be in love with you so that he can get you, my own castoff girlfriend?"

"Enough!" I roared, feeling Elisha tremble slightly at his words.

Newton shook his head pityingly, "you idiots are hopeless. Nick, you didn't even like her before!"

I grimaced and confessed, "it's true, I used to think that she wasn't worthy of you while we were in college. But you inadvertently brought us together. After spending a lot of time with her during our search for you and getting to know her, I discovered that she's more than worthy. Hell, you and I aren't worthy of someone like her!"

He snorted scornfully, "speak for yourself." His face scrunched up as realization finally dawned on him. "Was this where you really were last night? With her?"

I hesitated before nodding reluctantly, "yes, I was with her."

Newton stared at us until his eyes flared with anger, "I'm outta here." Turning on his heel, he strode away towards the parking area.

"Wait!" Elisha started to go after him, but I held her back.

"No, you stay here. I'll go talk to him," I offered, kissing her forehead. I wasn't going to let her near him when he was in this mood. I squeezed her arm gently before running after my brother. When I reached the parking area, I was just in time to see his car peal away in a cloud of dust. Great, just great. Mother was going to kill me for this.

How were we going to have a wedding rehearsal without the groom?