Chapter 24

Elisha

I was having the nicest dream. Nick was touching my face softly, like he was reverently exploring all its features. I leaned more into his hand and sighed in contentment. His warm touch felt so safe and inviting. It somehow mad me feel that everything was going to be fine.

"Eli, sweetheart. Wake up. You have to eat," his gentle voice was so soothing, I could listen to it all day.

"Mmm," I mumbled dreamily. I'd never had a dream feel so real before, like he was really there with me.

"Eli, wake up," a hand shook me slightly, and I opened my eyes and saw Nick looking down at me in that totally intense way that made me want to bury myself in his arms. Blushing furiously, I pulled myself up into a sitting position and rubbed my eyes.

"Hey. Sorry I fell asleep," I said, embarrassed.

He grinned, "it's okay. You were very tired. Come on, I brought you dinner."

I looked at the food set out on the table and instantly my mouth watered. He had brought Japanese food, my ultimate favorite. I grabbed my wallet from my bag and pulled out some money, "how much do I owe you?"

Nick looked at me like I was crazy, "put your money away, woman. This is my treat, and my thank you for putting up with me for two days and helping me find my stupid brother. Now eat up." He handed me some chopsticks and proceeded to eat himself.

Gratefully, I accepted the chopsticks and broke them in two to enjoy my delicious dinner, "thank you."

"No problem," he said airily. "Try the maki. It's amazing."

I did, and the moment the taste permeated my mouth, I had to close my eyes and moan, "oh, my goodness. This is so good! From what Japanese restaurant did you get this?"

He did not answer, and I opened my eyes to find him staring at me the same way I was staring at the food awhile ago. Heat filled my whole body in uncontrollable waves as I swallowed and self-consciously licked my lips to remove any leftover maki. His sea-green eyes darkened as they dropped to follow the movement of my tongue. My heart thundered wildly and I met his heated gaze once more. The longing I saw in their depths took my breath away. He reached out a hand to run his fingers through my hair and I closed my eyes at the sweetness of his touch. He captured my lips with his own, and I dropped my chopsticks to the floor as my own hands reached up to grab onto his shoulders.

The kiss was not as hot as the elevator kiss we shared. This kiss was slow and sensual, warm and full of promise. He kissed me like I was the most precious thing in the world to him, his lips moving over mine with tenderness. I sighed and he swooped down to deepen it, his arms crushing my body into his own. His tongue swept into my mouth and teased me to join him in a beautiful sensual dance, his hands wandering from my back to the sides of my body, to my waist. One hand went up to my hair to tug me closer to him. I surrendered to his embrace willingly, to the overwhelming tide of passion and heat, to my own feelings of love for him.

A knock on the door brought us both down from our clouded senses. He released me abruptly, and I staggered back and immediately missed the warm haven of his arms. We were both breathing heavily, our lips swollen from our kisses, our clothes in disarray. I realized my hair probably looked like bed hair and quickly ran a hand through the mess, trying to make it look presentable at least.

The door opened and a nurse came in with a clipboard, "good evening, Ms. Winters. Just checking up on your father. Any changes?"

I cleared my throat and attempted to sound normal, "no, none."

She turned to Nick and instantly flipped her hair and smiled at him. She went to my father to get his pulse, blood pressure and temperature, all the while her eyes surreptitiously glancing at Nick, who to his credit didn't pay her any heed. He just continued eating like nothing had happened. I on the other hand was still all flustered and embarrassed. When she had finished, she flashed us a big grin and said, "goodnight." Her gaze lingered on Nick, but he still didn't acknowledge her. I nodded at her and she left.

Wiping my damp palms on my jeans, I picked up my chopsticks and went to the bathroom to wash them, my face aflame. I looked at the mirror and grimaced at the sight that greeted me. Wild hair, flushed cheeks, it was worse than I imagined. Splashing some water onto my face and hair, I tried to tame my appearance, but then sighed in defeat. Nick was probably grossed out by my desperate response. He was missing his girlfriend and I was making him stay here selfishly.

Frowning at the thought, I leaned closer to the mirror. Yes, I wanted him to stay. I knew I was falling in love with him, and if he stayed longer, I was going to really jump him. But he had someone waiting for him back home. His home, in London. Where he belonged. This, whatever this was, was merely a respite, and I had to let him go for his sake. My shoulders slumped at the thought of never seeing him again, but it was the right thing to do. I had to send him away.

Returning to the room, I saw he was almost finished with his dinner, whereas I was only able to eat that single maki. Yet strangely I wanted to simply eat him! He certainly was more delicious than anything! Scolding my wayward thoughts, I said calmly, "so when is your flight back to your home?"

Nick looked at me, assessing my mood change. I refused to meet his eyes and focused on the food, chewing methodically. Oh, my, it was really yummy...I refrained from closing my eyes and making any sound though. He answered in a soft voice, "I'm not going back. At least, not for awhile. I already called up my secretary to inform the board to take charge while I'm gone."

Butterflies traitorously fluttered inside my stomach at the thought that he was staying longer, but I clamped them down, "more business to take care of here?"

This time, his gaze smoldered, "I wouldn't call it business that's keeping me here."

"I think I'm full now. I'll just put all this away," I babbled, hastily gathering the leftover food.

Nick stopped my hand by grasping it tightly, "Eli, I know you just came through a very bad breakup..."

I cut him off, "Nick, you really don't have to say anything. I know you're probably homesick so it's best that you go back home. You have done what you came here to do. You found Newton. Don't worry about me. I'll be fine."

"Eli," he started again, but I wouldn't give him the chance to feed more hope to my stupid heart.

"I appreciate you coming over before you leave. Thank you for dinner too. But I think you should go. It's for the best," I whispered shakily, feeling my heart being torn in two literally.

He stared at me but I avoided his gaze. I felt him come closer to me but I still continued packing the leftover food stoically, acting like I was calm when inside I was anything but. He placed a hand on my shoulder and I tensed. "Call me if you need anything," he said quietly.

I swallowed hard and nodded, "okay." There was no way I was calling him anytime soon.

With a last searching look at me, he went out of the door and out of my life. When I was sure his footsteps were far away, I collapsed on the couch and cried like I'd never cried before. Stupid, stupid, stupid! After all the pain that Newton gave me, I was foolish enough to fall in love with another McAllister, and this time, it was with someone with commitment issues! What the hell was wrong with me? I needed to have my head examined!

But I knew nothing was wrong with my head. It was my heart that was being stupid once again. When did it ever listen to my head? Sighing, I wiped my face and took a deep breath. It was time to forget him, forget the feelings he stirred with each touch, each look, each kiss. God, it was like forgetting how to breathe but I knew for my sake that I had to. My life was here, he lived in London. I was still recovering from a traumatic breakup, he had a girlfriend waiting for him. And the biggest reason of all?

I loved him with everything in me, but he never said that he loved me. After the past relationship I had, I learned that I had to be wary about that. Love, it seemed, wasn't enough to keep Newton from succumbing to temptation. And with Nick's newfound confidence in himself and noncommittal attitude towards women, I knew logically that he would never be the boyfriend I needed.

But this was only a rebound thing, right? After a week, I probably would forget his name, or his face, or our time together. Distance and time were all I needed to block my thoughts of him. Yes, this was my rebound love. Nothing more. I could forget all about him.

And yet, deep down, I knew I couldn't stop myself from hoping for the impossible.