Chapter 39

Nick

Laughing together at our silliness, I carried Elisha out of the hallway and into the lounge, where I knew we wouldn't be disturbed. There were various sectioned mini-rooms inside reserved for serious business meetings, but I knew we could use it. I was a McAllister after all. My last name opened all doors to the country club.

We entered the lounge and I led her to an unoccupied room and locked the door behind us. I set her down near the couch and crouched down to inspect her feet. "Were you serious when you said your feet hurt?"

She shrugged, "I'm not used to wearing high heels the whole day. But it's alright. I just need to rest them for awhile." Suddenly, she burst out laughing.

"What's so funny?" I asked her.

She pointed behind me, and I turned to see a flat screen showing the lavish wedding reception that we had skipped. It was being filmed and shown all over the country club for the press to eat up. We laughed as the wedding coordinator looked about ready to tear her hair out looking for us among the crowd. The entourage were already inside the dining hall, Newton and Meredith included. Both had bemused expressions on their faces. Finally Newton motioned to the coordinator and whispered something to her that somewhat placated her ever so slightly before she nodded and resumed ordering people around.

Elisha and I collapsed onto the couch, laughing. "Did you see the look on her face?" She gasped out between giggles.

I chuckled, "it was worthy of a photograph! Too bad the photographer was busy elsewhere. I would have paid him to snap one for us to keep!"

We laughed some more and watched the live feed of the reception, noticing some things and pointing them out. Nobody seemed too distressed that we were missing in action. I stood up and got some water bottles from the small refrigerator and offered one to her.

She took it gratefully and took a long swig, "oh, man, that tastes so good. I haven't eaten or drank anything since..."

"Since?" I prodded, drinking my own water.

She looked at the bottle in her hands, "since last night."

My heart sank to the floor. I had caused her to skip meals, "you haven't eaten anything at all today?"

She shook her head and said evasively, "well, I've been busy with the wedding ang helping Meredith."

Striding to the phone on the wall, I picked it up and called the receptionist, "yes, this is Nicholas McAllister. I'm inside the lounge and I wish to order your best steak and chicken on the menu. Please have them delivered here and make it fast. Thank you." I replaced the phone back on its hook.

Elisha colored slightly, "you don't have to do that."

Going to sit beside her, I took her hand, "you'll never do that again, you hear? I want you to always eat right. No diets, no fasting, no starving yourself to death."

"Yes, mother," she rolled up her eyes at me.

I tapped her nose, "I mean it, Eli. Promise me."

She sighed, "okay, promise."

Grinning, I said, "I'll hold you to that. Now." I was interrupted by a knock on the door. Shooting a panicked look at her, I asked, "you don't think the slave driver managed to track us down, do you?"

She frowned, "I highly doubt it."

Getting up, I opened the door and was relieved to see a waiter carrying two covered plates, "your dinner, Mr. McAllister."

"Thank you," I said, reaching into my pocket for my wallet and handing him a generous tip. I took the plates and shut the door, locking it once more.

Elisha stood up to help, but I nudged her gently back onto the couch. Setting the plates in front of her, I opened them to reveal the mouthwatering aroma. Even my stomach rumbled. She sniffed the air appreciatively, "mmm, now that smells good."

"Which one will you eat first?"

She gave an incredulous look, "what kind of a pig do you take me for? I can't finish everything! You eat the steak, I'll have the chicken...if you don't mind."

I laughed, "of course, I don't. Eat up." I handed her some utensils and we proceeded to have dinner together. I forked some of the steak and held it up to her mouth, "want a taste?"

She hesitated, then opened her mouth to accept the steak. My body tightened at the way her mouth gently closed onto my fork, our eyes meeting each other heatedly. Suddenly, the room became very hot. I watched as she chewed delicately and swallowed, every movement so fascinating and sensuous. She forked a piece of chicken and held it up for me.

Never taking my eyes off her, I bit into it and saw her eyes deepen in color. Unable to resist, I pulled her close and kissed her with all the pent up longing I felt. Running my hands through her hair, I didn't care that I was ruining her hairdo. I tangled my fingers through the silky strands and drew her closer to me, my mouth ravishing her. She was half-lying on me by now, her mouth opening under my onslaught, and I thrust my tongue inside to taste her sweetness. Growling deep in my throat, I cradled her in one arm, allowing my other hand to explore her body through her dress. Her skin felt so smooth to my touch, igniting my senses further. I wanted to devour her.

She moaned and clutched helplessly at my arms, responding to my touch and kiss. We were on fire, with only one way to quench us. I ran my hand to her breast and stroked her lovingly.

Elisha broke our kiss and said raggedly, "wait, Nick."

My foggy brain registered her voice and I opened my eyes to gaze down at her. Her cheeks were flushed, her eyes half-open, her swollen lips parted as she took deep breaths. I leaned down to kiss her, but she held a finger to my lips, "wait. We need to talk."

I shut my eyes and leaned my forehead against hers, trying to calm myself down. She was right, of course. I was letting my hormones get the better of me. Groaning in frustration at my lack of self control around her, I pulled away and sat across from her. The more distance I put between us, the better. My nerve endings were acting too wildly when she was near.

"Finish your dinner, then we'll talk," I managed to say.

She tried to smoothen her hair back and continued eating. I followed and we ate in silence, each too overwhelmed at what had almost happened between us. I scolded myself for reacting like an uncontrollable teenager. She deserved better than a quick roll in the country club lounge.

I polished off my steak just as Elisha finished her food. She looked at the screen and said, "they've also finished eaing. It's almost time for our speeches."

My best man speech! I'd forgotten about that minor task! Hooboy, and Elisha was supposed to give her maid of honor speech for Meredith too. I turned to her, "want to join them for the speeches?"

She paused, "I think we have to. What do you think?"

Running a hand through my hair, I sighed, "this talk of ours is never happening, is it?"

She chuckled and took down her hair from its pins, letting the waves tumble down. I watched, mesmerized, as she combed through it with her fingers, smoothing it down to make it presentable. "Do you have a mirror here?" She asked, standing up.

I snapped to attention and pointed to the door across the couch, "lavatory's over there."

She nodded and walked to it. When the door shut behind her, I collapsed back on the couch and rubbed my face. We had to postpone our talk again. But I knew we were together again. The way we kissed awhile back proved that we still felt attraction and love for each other. She was mine, as I was hers. Forever.

The door to the lavatory opened, and I looked up at her smiling at me. Her hair was down and neatly combed, her face clean with only a touch of makeup to accentuate her features, with none of the thick paint as before. She looked like the girl I fell in love with. The girl of my dreams. The love of my life. My forever after.

She walked towards me and held out her hand, "come on, Mr. Best Man. We have to get going if we're going to wrap this up and finally have some time to ourselves."

Grinning at her, I stood up and kissed her cheek, "lead on, love."