Chapter 14

Elisha

"Any news?" I asked Marcie, cradling my phone between my ear and shoulder as I put a slice of pizza on Nick's plate, then one on mine. Luckily it was still warm and smelled heavenly. I checked on Mittens and noticed he was still sleeping off the anesthesia from the clinic. The poor thing had to have his paw set in a cast. It was going to be challenging taking care of a sick pup but it would fill my lonely nights after this trip.

"Status quo as of the moment. I feel like we're in limbo everyday," Marcie sighed.

I slumped onto the stool, "well, I guess that's better than a turn for the worse."

"I guess. When are you coming back?"

Chewing on my lip, I said slowly, "still not sure. Hopefully tomorrow night."

"Hurry home, okay? I miss you."

Normally, we weren't a sentimental type of family, but since recent events, Marcie and I had grown closer together. At least we still had each other, despite everything. "I miss you too. I'll text or call you when I'm on my way home, okay? You take care there." I put down my phone and turned to grab the sodas, only to find Nick at the doorway. "Hey," I said cheerily, then stopped when I saw his expression. "Nick? Is something wrong?"

He answered with a question, "who were you talking to?"

"Marcie. Are you okay? You look...weirded out or something," I remarked hesitantly.

He relaxed a little, but his eyes looked shattered, like he was disappointed, "I'm fine. Let's just eat then go to sleep. I'm really tired."

I stared at him then nodded, "okay." If he didn't want to talk about it, I guessed it wasn't any business of mine to probe.

We ate in silence. I could tell his mind was miles away. Maybe he talked with Val? Or maybe problems with work? I noticed he barely touched his food, although the pizza tasted delicious. When we'd finished, I stood to clean up, but he grabbed my wrist.

"I'll do that. You go freshen up,"he said gently. "Mittens isn't going anywhere, not after that whole surgery ordeal he went through. He'll be fine here."

"Alright," I acquiesced, grabbing my bag and stepping into the other cabin. Changing into my pajamas, I washed my face and brushed my teeth, looking around the small bathroom. Nothing seemed amiss. I guessed Newton hadn't been here after he disappeared. Spitting into the sink, I turned off the lights and went to the room.

Now here we had a problem. There was only one queen-sized bed in the cabin. No couch or carpet on the floor.

How on earth were we going to sleep?

Nick came in just as I was chewing my nail thinking of our sleeping arrangement. He raised an eyebrow at me, "problem?"

"I have nowhere to sleep," I said quietly.

"Sure you do. Sleep on the bed."

"And where will you sleep?"

He flashed me a smile worthy of a toothpaste commercial and made my insides turn to mush, "on the bed, of course."

My face turned so red, a tomato would be envious, "you can't seriously be saying that we sleep together."

He shrugged, "there's only that one bed, and it's big enough for the both of us, and we're both adults, Eli. It's not like we're going to be unable to control ourselves."

If it was possible, I blushed even more. When he put it that way, he was right. It wasn't like he was even remotely interested in me at all. He merely kissed me because he missed his girlfriend (and no matter how much he denied it, I was still going to refer to her as his girlfriend to keep my sanity intact). So there really wasn't any problem.

At least on his side. For me, my heart was beating the bass tempo of a rock song. Swallowing past the lump on my throat, I nodded, "right." Then went to sit on one side of the bed.

Nick chuckled and I glared at him, "I don't see what's so funny here!"

He smiled sardonically, "it's just a treat to watch the Ice Queen so flustered over sleeping arrangements."

I winced at one of the nicknames I was christened with in school, "just go to sleep." I turned over to my side and faced the wall, staying as far away from his side as possible. There would be no accidental touching of any part of his anatomy, I strictly told myself. I knew I was a steady non-nomadic sleeper. I could definitely do this.

I felt the bed dip on his side and knew he was there beside me. All my senses suddenly went into alert mode. Darn it, what the heck was wrong with me? It was just Nick! He wasn't even mildly affected by any of this! He was probably used to girls throwing themselves at his feet after he transformed himself from Nick the Nerd to Nick the Hunk. And he was too busy enjoying his newfound hunkiness (if there was such a word) that he couldn't commit to a serious relationship. Still, it felt weird to be in the same bed I used to share with Newton before now with Nick and feeling all sorts of emotions running through my body. Who would have thought this would happen?

Nick's voice cut through the silence, "still up?"

I instantly tensed, "yes?"

He shifted positions, and I resisted the urge to take a peek at him behind me, "so I was just wondering...did Newton ever bring anyone else to this boat besides you?"

Thinking back, I smiled, "no. It was always just him and me, you know? Like he wanted this place to be really special for just the two of us. Besides, the place is too cramped for a party of three or more people. We had a lot of great times here."

"I see," he murmured.

"Why do you ask?"

"No reason," he replied quickly. "I was just wondering, is all. Well, goodnight."

"Goodnight, Nicky," I said with a yawn, finally letting the weariness take over my body. I was just drifting off into dreamland when suddenly a strong arm snaked its way around my waist. Startled, I turned my face and met his sleeping face. Realizing that he was asleep already, I decided to relax and enjoy being in the warmth of his tender embrace, ignoring the sensible voice inside my head and basically following the call of my heart.