Chapter 38

Elisha

Nick looked so relaxed and happy standing there, my arm around his. It was like nothing happened at all. I stared at him in disbelief, admiring the handsome way he still looked even after last night. He still looked drool-worthy.

He raised an eyebrow at me, his expression amused, "we're almost up, dear. Better get ready."

I shook myself out of my trance and noticed that the groomsman and bridesmaid in front of us were already walking down the aisle, and we were next. The wedding coordinator motioned for us to move, and we followed suit.

My heart thudded in my ribcage as Nick and I glided together. I saw Newton smile at us. It was so easy to pretend that we were okay. The warmth of his hand as it held mine gave me delicious tingles all over. "Nick, we need to talk," I said shakily.

He grinned at everyone as we passed, "later, darling. Smile. Don't look so worried."

"But I have to explain-"

He squeezed my hand, "later, love. Now smile."

I pasted a fake smile on my face like he said, wondering if this was all just an act, a facade to fool everyone into thinking we were friends and that everything was simply peachy keen. I held my sigh back and found Mrs. McAllister among the crowd, standing erect beside Newton in the front pew. She was beaming at us, her usually placid face radiant with joy. I was even more confused than ever.

Nick deposited me on the left side, where all the bridesmaids were, and walked to his place beside Newton. I saw them exchange a handshake with a meaningful look between them. Nick glanced back at me and winked. What the hell was going om?

Suddenly, everyone stood up. I snapped my attention to the front doors and caught my breath as the bridal march began. Meredith stood at the entrance in her beautiful gown, smiling straight at Newton. It was hard to miss the love shining in her eyes for him. Unconsciously, I smiled at her, watching her move forward slowly, every step measured. People sighed with happiness as she passed. She was truly a blooming bride on this wedding.

Every eye was on her. Every eye... Except...I looked over at Nick and noticed him watching me with a look of intense concentration. Startled, I shot him a questioning look. He smiled mysteriously and slid his glance to Meredith, who had reached their side.

Newton gazed down at his bride with pride and happiness. I knew it wouldn't be hard for him to grow to love her. He already cared for her. He took her hand and together they approached the front of the church, where the priest was waiting. We all sat down as the ceremony formally began.

The wedding was brief and meaningful. Meredith had wanted to keep it short so that people wouldn't get bored. When the time came for them to kiss, Newton pushed back her veil and looked into her eyes deeply, as if memorizing her very soul, and he whispered something in her ear that made her beam with joy, before he leaned down to touch her lips with his. Everyone applauded. I was pleased that throughout the ceremony, he never once took his eyes off Meredith. It looked like he was falling for her already.

Nick and I kept exchanging surreptitious glances over each other. I could tell he too wanted to talk, but we were trapped until the end of the wedding. One time, I took out my mobile to check for messages and he saw me. I sent him a quick text saying I needed to talk to him, but he merely shot me a pained look. Wondering what he meant, I refocused my attention on the wedding. The wedding coordinator rushed us to the front for pictures and I was positioned beside Meredith, while Nick was placed beside Newton on the other side.

"Alright, everyone to the back. We have rice to throw at the newlyweds," the coordinator barked at us, shooing us to the doors when the photographer had snapped the last picture,