Three

Chapter Three:

"It's snowing!"

Elouise sat up, eyes wide and tired. Amy stood by the window, gazing out at the scenery.

"The first snowfall!" She grinned, "And with Christmas only two days away! How wonderful!"

Elouise slipped of the bed, brushing the ends of her hair out with a few fingers. Her hair was a chocolate brown with hints of red, a combination she received from her mother. Her father gifted her with matching brown eyes, ones she's called plain for her whole life.

"You must come down stairs, Elouise." Amy brushed by her, standing in the doorway. "Haven't you worn that yesterday?"

She looked down at her dress, "Oh yes, just give me a moment to change. I'll be down shortly."

Amy nodded, closing the door behind her. Elouise shuffled to her bag, pulling out one of her two dresses. She quickly changed, feeling the comfort of fitted fabric cover her. This dress was a dark emerald, the bottom flowed with easy to move materials. Her boots showed from underneath, perhaps she was growing out of this dress as well.

"Good morning." Elouise greeted as she paused in the living room, glancing around the empty space. Giggles and shouts echoed from outside, she turned and gently opened the door. All four March sisters played in the snowfall, making snow angels or throwing handfuls of snow at each other.

Jo appeared in front of her, followed by a fistful of cold snow hitting her face. Elouise yelped in surprise, bending down to collect her own ball of snow and throwing it at Jo.

"Elouise!" Meg paused, "You're not dressed for the weather, it's awfully cold— Jo! Stop throwing snow at her!"

Elouise only gave a smile, "I'm fine, Meg. I promise. I'll survive." She winked at Jo, collecting another ball and tossing it at the girl. Jo laughed, turning towards Beth who fell onto her back, waving her arms up and down.

Elouise grinned watching the family jump around in the snow, Amy pulled herself off the ground, staring across the way.

"Look!" Amy hushed everyone, "Do you think old man Laurence still lives there?"

Elouise followed their gaze, landing on a large white mansion. "Old man who?" She questioned.

Jo stepped beside her, "The legend is—"

"It's no legend." Meg interrupted, "Mr Laurence lives with his grandson all alone in that house. His daughter passed away many years ago, now it's just the pair."

"All alone in that large house?"

"Yes." Meg replied, turning to face everyone. "Why don't we all go clean up? It's awfully cold out here. Jo and I are leaving quite soon, we need to find her a dress for tomorrow's party."

"Why can't I come, Meg?" Amy whined following Beth inside.

"I'm sure you can come to the next one."

"Jo always says that."

Elouise chuckled, "Parties are not as fabulous as everyone makes them out to be."

Amy stared at her with wide eyes, "How many parties have you been to, Elouise?"

"Oh, to be quite honest I haven't been to one. But from all I've heard from others is that they're not all that great."

Meg looked horrified, "Who has been telling you such things?"

"Most likely Jo." Amy huffed.

Jo replied with whacking her sisters arm, "I haven't said a word. Though, parties are dreadful."

"They are not! They are wonderful and so much fun, Elouise." Meg smiled, "Oh, That settles it! You must accompany Jo and I to the party, won't you?"

Elouise fell silent, a dance did sound quite lovely. "I'm afraid I don't have a dress nice enough for a party."

"Nonsense! Join Jo and I on a trip to town. We planned on going anyways, to shop for Jo."

"I have no money." Both Jo and Elouise said, earning a sheepish smile from each other.

"I know what I'm wearing." Jo huffed, a smile creeping on her face. "Nothing!"

"Jo!" Amy gasped.

"Don't say that!" Beth giggled, "Jo, you know better!"

Meg frowned, crossing her arms. "Fine. Jo, you will be wearing a dress. A nice one, at that. And for Elouise, you look to be my size, you may borrow one of mine."

"Are—"

"Yes, I am positive." Her lips found a smile, "I shall do both your hair as well. Maybe you shall catch the eye of a—"

"Nope!" Jo shouted, making her way up the stairs. "Do not bother finishing that sentence, Meg. The only eye I shall catch is my own."

Meg sighed, walking over to Elouise. "Don't mind our Josephine."

She smiled, "She's quite the character."

A laugh, "Come, I can show you my dress selection. I'm sure you'll find one you like. I rather have everything set for tomorrow so there are no bumps."

"I'm sure there will be bumps no matter how much you plan."

"You're right." Meg sighed, guiding her up the stairs. "There certainly will be, if Jo's involved."