Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen:

"I have many pairs I haven't worn in years." He dug through his large wardrobe, "I'm sure one will fit you."

Elouise stood in the centre of his room, unsure of what to do. Eventually he turned holding a pair of black trousers and a white loose shirt. "This looks exactly like what we were all wearing during the club meeting."

He raised a finger, spinning back to his wardrobe. He turned holding a pair of black suspenders, "Now it is exact."

She took the articles of clothing and rushed to the bathroom attached to his room. Like his bedroom, it was very large. She quickly changed out of her dress and pulled the shirt over her head, following by the trousers. She tucked the shirt in and attached the suspenders, grinning at herself in the mirror. Elouise jumped into the other room, "Woman should be able to wear trousers whenever they want, they are very comfortable."

He smiled, wearing something close to what she did. He wore the same black trousers and suspenders but with a matching black shirt. "You could almost pass for a middle class person."

"What gives it away?"

"The way you carry yourself." She walked in farther, spotting a collection of shoes pushed up against the wall. She made her way over, picking one and taking out the lace. "I'm taking this, by the way."

"The lace?" He questioned.

Elouise nodded, moving to a mirror that hung on the wall. She pulled her hair away from her face and quickly braided it over her shoulder, tying it off with the lace of one of his shoes. "Now I am ready to work. Come on, we need to hurry."

Laurie grinned, taking her hand as they ran down the steps and towards the front door.

"Theodore Laurence, where do you think you are going?"

They stopped, he turned slowly. "I'm going to go help Elouise with her work."

"Is she wearing-"

"Goodbye, grandfather!" He said dragging her the rest of the way out, both breaking into a laughing fit as they ran across the field towards the wooded path.

"His face!" Laurie laughed, "You should've seen it."

They fell into a walk, Elouise smiling along. "I'm glad you don't mind seeing a girl in boys clothes. We should be allowed to wear whatever we want, when we want. Not just for plays, which is quite hypocritical because men play women all the time and wear dresses."

"Men believe they hold all the power."

She looked at him, "Do you?"

Laurie shrugged, shoving his hands into his pockets. "When I was a child, yes. Now, I do not. It's not right, everyone should be treated equal."

Elouise spotted two sticks laying on the trail, she bent down and picked them up, handing one to Laurie. "Do you believe they should be treated equal in a sword fight?"

He looked at the branch gripped in his hand, leaning into a fight stance. "I should warn you, I took dueling lessons for a few years."

"There are dueling lessons?" She snorted, following his lead.

A nod, "Only the best."

Elouise rolled her eyes, "Are there rules?"

"Many."

That's a shame, she thought, she was about break them all. If she couldn't win, she would resort to tackling. It wasn't cheating, it was outsmarting the enemy.

"Go!" Laurie shouted.

Elouise lunged forward, their branches hitting together. He battled with grace, a hand behind the back with the other firmly on the weapon. He danced between his feet, a glint in his dark eyes. She fired back, figuring out when and where he would poke at next.

"You're stuck." He smiled cornering her against a tree, "Call mercy."

"Never." She threw her branch at him, his eyes widened as he tried to catch it, dropping his own the process. She lunged, tackling him to the ground. They landed with a thud, he stared up at her as she pinned him to the ground. "Call mercy." She mocked him.

He remained silent for a few moments, processing what just had happened. "Well, I was certainly not expecting that."

"I win." She beamed, her face falling as a smile stretched his face. "Why are you-"

Elousie yelped as she fell to the ground, Laurie flipping over her. They seemed to have switched positions, now she looked like a fool.

"No, I win." His smile brightened, "You fight well, Elouise Myer."

"For a lad built like a twig, so do you, Theodore Laurence."

They stared at each other for a few moments, Elouise froze from underneath him, unsure of what to do.

Horse hooves sounded from up the trail, Laurie's eyes widened as he realized he was still atop her. He jumped up, helping her up along with him. A carriage slowed in front of them, the door falling open. Mrs Gibson sat inside, a nasty scowl on her face.

"I was wondering where you were, Elouise." She glared, "I did not expect you to be frolicking around with a boy."

Elouise pursed her lips, "We were on our way, I promise you, Mrs Gibson."

"You remind me of Mabel." She said, "The clothes and all."

Laurie and Elouise shared a look, "Well, what are you two waiting for. Get in."

They nodded, hurrying in after one an other. Mrs Gibson said nothing, only stared between the two with a certain look in her eye. It was unnerving, to say the least.