Nine

Chapter Nine: 1862

"I'm quite excited to meet your Aunt March." Elouise told the four girls as they walked down bustling streets.

"What a way to spend the new year." Jo mumbled, "I'm not sure why you want to meet that old bat."

"Don't speak ill of Aunt March." Amy said.

Meg sighed, "It's so hard to go back to work after such good times."

"I wish it was Christmas everyday." Beth signed.

"Or New Year's." Amy added, "Wouldn't that be exciting?"

Jo sighed, pulling them along. "We're a bunch of ungrateful minxes!"

"Don't use such dreadful expressions!" Meg hushed.

"I like good strong words that mean something."

Amy pouted, counting her gloved fingers. "Well I have to go to school and I don't have any limes."

Elouise made a face, huddling closer to Meg for warmth. She still was without a jacket, Elouise knew after this little trip she would have to make her own search for employment. Good thing she knew exactly where to go.

"Limes?" Elouise questioned, "What does any of this have to do with limes?"

"The other girls are all trading pickled limes. I'm in debt. I owe ever so many limes."

Meg pulled a quarter from her pocket, handing it to Amy. The girl took it with a smile, examining it closely.

"Will that do?"

Jo leaned towards Meg, "Why did you do that for?" She whispered.

"I know what it is to want little things and feel less than other girls." Meg mumbled back.

Amy held the quarter up to the sun, "Between that and the drawings I should wipe out my debt."

"What drawings?"

"Nothing!"

Beth shuddered against Amy, "I'm just glad mother doesn't make me go to that school with all those girls."

Jo shook her head, looking at her littlest sister. "Beth, after your shopping, I need you to work your way through the new sums and spellings and I'll check it when I get home."

Meg gazed around, squinting at the bright sun. She grabbed a hold of Jo and Elouise before pulling them forward, "Hurry! I'll be late!"

They waved goodbye to Amy and Beth as they turned the other way, going in separate directions.

"You're going to despise Aunt March." Jo looked at Elouise, "Do not say I didn't warn you."

"Stop scaring her!" Meg huffed, "She's not so bad."

They approached another fork in the road, Meg bid them goodbye and hurried down one way while Jo and Elouise took the other.

"So, Ellie." Jo sighed, "I do have to work today, so I advise you to say a quick hello and be on your way."

"A great plan. I do have employment to search for, though I have a lead."

"What will you purchase with your first check?"

Elouise gave her an odd look, "You sound like Amy."

"Don't you ever say that." Jo hushed her, "I'm only trying to make conversation."

Elouise nodded, "I plan to give most of it to your Marmee, for letting me stay with you all. A small thank you, for feeding me and keeping me warm with great company."

Jo shook her head, "It would be much appreciated but I can't let you do that. I'm the second oldest, I should be the one to help as much I can. Not our guest."

"You realize I will be doing it no matter what you tell me, Jo."

She nodded, "I'm aware."

Jo came to a stop, a large looming estate staring back at them. They ran up the stone path, Jo pulling her through the double doors.

"Aunt March!" Jo called out, "I arrived. And with a guest."

An older lady appeared, dressed in all black with a veil covering some of her head. "What is all this about?"

"This Elouise." Jo said stepping forward, "She is staying with us for a few months and wanted to meet you."

"Meet me?"

Elouise stepped next to Jo, "I've heard so much about you."

She raised an eyebrow, "Are you rich?"

"Um, no."

"Then what's the point of keeping her around?" Aunt March looked to Jo, before cracking a small smile. "I'm only kidding. Jo, come along, I am not paying you to stand around. Nice meeting you Elouise, run along now."

Elouise bid Jo a goodbye before quickly exiting out of the large home. Aunt March was not the way she had envisioned, Elouise thought she would be more like Marmee. Yet again, she hadn't gotten to know the older lady and couldn't have a strong opinion of her yet.

She recognized the area they were in, knowing a shortcut to get to her destination quicker. Elouise was now off on a job hunt, hoping that Mrs Gibson was home.

She approached a new path, leading into the trees that surrounded this area. It was broad daylight outside, little fear sparked her stomach as she began walking. Elouise was never a fan of the woods, even with her grandmothers company it was still worrisome.

Mrs Gibson lived on the other side of these trees, if she remembered correctly. The older woman was a friend of her grandmother but hardly ever visited, she only sent letters every so often. She lived on a large patch of land, in a smaller home. Mrs Gibson was much to old to be doing yard work and farm maintenance and wouldn't care who got down to do it wether you were a man or a woman.

"Elouise?"

She squinted, farther up on the trail a figure was growing closer. She stopped, looking behind her as if there was another Elouise walking.

"Laurie?" She questioned moving forward, indeed confirming that was who she saw. "What are you doing on this side of town?"

"I could ask you the same question."

Elouise chuckled, "Aren't we both just full of questions?"

"Was that a question?"

She paused, rolling her eyes. "Are you on your way home?"

"Yes, matter of fact I am." He told her, "I have a tutor waiting, for which I am already late."

Elouise smiled, "Still thick as a brick?"

A wink, "Not as thick."

She laughed, "Have a goodnight, if I do not see you after."

Laurie made a face, standing straight up. He titled his head to the side, eyes sparkling. "Were you planning to? I mean, see me after?"

Another roll of her eyes, "Have a good day, Theo."

He snickered, "You as well, El."