Thirty Two

Chapter Thirty Two:

Meg scurried from person to person, making sure they were cared for in any aspect. Elouise chased her around, finally getting her to stop by Mr Laurence who danced about with Marmee.

"Meg, you must enjoy your day." Elouise smiled, "Everyone is having a splendid time. If anyone needs anything and you see, send them to me and I will take care of it."

The newly married woman nodded, a smile covering her face. Meg looked beautiful in her dress, her eyes were lit up like a child on Christmas day. "Are you sure-"

Elouise sighed, "Go dance with your husband, Meg."

And she did, rushing away from Elouise and towards John who was in conversation with Amy as they danced to the music. Someone poked her shoulder, she turned to see Beth offering a hand.

"Will you be so kind and dance with me?" She joked, looking up at her. Elouise accepted and they moved to the dance floor, not really dancing but rather jumping around.

They twirled and swayed to the music, Beth humming along. The sun shone down on the girl's red locks, showing off the freckles that danced across her face. "Do you think I will find someone like Mr Brooke?"

Elouise pursed her lips, taking her hand and spinning her. "I think you will find someone who makes you the most happiest you've ever been, and someone who adores music just as you do."

"No man adores music as much as I."

"Yes, and you will find him." Elouise smiled, "But remember, never settle, Beth. If you are to be married, make sure it is because you want too. Do not let anyone pressure you to choose the man, you choose the one whom you love deeply."

"Jo said marriage is boring."

Elouise chuckled, "It's difficult to have an opinion on something she's never been apart of. But she is correct for many women, most likely. If you marry the right person, you will never be bored of them."

"I cannot wait until I meet someone." Beth said quietly.

"I thought you were afraid of boys."

Beth suppressed a laugh, "Yes, I was. But I have grown since then, and having Laurie around has shown me they can be quite lovely."

The music faded, and Beth and Elouise shared a laugh as they came to a stop. They walked through the dancing crowd as another tune picked up, finding a spot by the house nestled in shade.

"How come your Aunt March looks miserable?" Elouise questioned spotting the older lady sitting alone. "Would you not think she'd be happy for Meg?"

"She wanted us all to marry rich." Amy appeared next to them.

Beth nodded, "John is not that, so she is not thrilled. Amy's the last hope for her."

"What about you and Jo?" Elouise questioned.

"She believes Jo is to far gone, to boyish and what not." Amy nodded, "Beth is to quiet."

Elouise watched as Mr Laurence approached Aunt March, offering a hand only to be declined with a quick shake of her head. Moments later Laurie approached, asking the same thing as his grandfather. She declined again, but when he turned, Elouise could see the amusement in the woman's eyes, even from so far away.

"Do you think Jo will ever marry" Amy looked to Elouise.

She pursed her lips, "I believe she won't, but will come to rethink her decisions when she reaches a certain age. Being alone is tiring, and can get very lonely."

"I would like to marry someone with an accent." Amy declared, "And who is very handsome."

"I'm sure you will." She laughed, causing Beth to crack a smile.

Meg and John danced away, the crowded dance floor soon emptied as they all formed a circle around the couple. They both looked so happy, Elouise couldn't help but smile watching. The scene was beautiful, the sun setting behind them.

"Oh!" Amy cried, "Aunt March is leaving, I must say goodbye."

She ran off towards Marmee and her father who were helping the woman depart. Amy caught up, bouncing about as they made their way towards a very elegant carriage.

"Laurie is coming over." Beth said, "I think he is wanting to talk to you."

"Who says he is not wanting to speak with you?"

"Elouise, he's been looking at you all evening." Beth laughed, rushing away.

Laurie smiled as he stopped in front of her, "You look beautiful."

"Well, you did design this dress."

He raised a finger, "Don't be fooled, I only gave some suggestions."

Elouise grinned, "You look quite good yourself."

"I do try." He stepped beside her, looking out at the people. "The ceremony was beautiful, was it not?"

She nodded, "They both seem so happy."

Laurie jammed his hands into his pockets, "I am happy for him. For both of them, really. When he first saw Meg he was immediately in love."

"And how do you know this?"

"When he could barely speak around her, or he tried to impress her." Laurie shrugged, "You can see it in the way he looks at her, no?"

She sneaked a glance at him, bringing her attention to the ground when he managed to catch her. "Yes, I do see it."

"Would you care to dance?" He questioned, smiling down at her.

"It seems we are always dancing, Laurie." She told him, "For someone who told me they did not like it."

"I like dancing when it is with you."

Elouise snorted, "You are a fool, Theodore Laurence."

He nodded slowly, gaze not wavering. "Perhaps I am."