Twenty One

Chapter Twenty One:

The house was a mess, though it was before, this was much worse. Hannah tried her best to keep it clean, but since Marmee's been gone for over a week it seemed she couldn't keep up.

Elouise sat on the floor, watching as Amy placed her bare foot in a bucket of plaster. Meg sat reading a letter, smiling to herself every so often while Jo leaned against the kitchen table working on a story. Beth sat near Amy, both doing their own crafts. She held one of two slippers, finishing them up with a determined look.

"I'm making a mold of my foot for Laurie to remind him I have nice feet." Amy stated, patting the plaster around her ankle.

Meg sighed, ignoring her sister's comment. "Mr Brooke writes that Father is still very weak, but improving. Mr Brooke also says Mother is the best nurse a man could have..."

"I wish all the letters were from Mother, and not Mr Brooke." Jo rolled her eyes.

"I'm grateful for any letters." Meg declared.

Elouise hugged her knees to her chest, "Amy, of all limbs why choose your foot?"

"I think deep purple is very fitting for Mr Laurence, do you agree Amy?" Beth looked over at her sister, "Amy?"

She glanced at Beth's purple slippers, "Quite. And the design is very cunning."

"I had to thank him somehow for allowing me to play the piano at his house all this time."

Elouise looked to Beth, "Laurie says his grandfather loves hearing you play, that it brings light to their home."

"Did he really?"

She nodded, "I think the man is lonely and just wants some company."

"He has Laurie." Amy huffed, fussing around with the plaster.

Meg stood up, "I'm going into town for groceries- Jo, can you go look into getting more firewood?"

"You all haven't been to see the Hummel's. We should go." Beth carefully placed her slipper on the floor.

Jo looked over at her, "Oh Bethy, we barely have enough to feed ourselves. Besides, I have to finish this story."

"Marmee said that we-"

"Marmee says so many things we can't possibly do them all." Amy chirped.

Beth sighed, "But I always go by myself and you haven't been keeping up with your tasks..."

"We work!" Jo protested.

Meg was more delicate with her answer, "Don't worry sweet girl, we'll find a time."

"It's been weeks."

"We'll go soon."

Amy stood up, trying to get her foot from the bucket. She squealed, "My foot is stuck! I can't get it out!"

Elouise broke out into laughter as Jo rushed to her side trying to help, within seconds she was laughing as well. Beth stood up, scooping up her slippers and walking to the door.

Elouise pulled herself of the ground and ran after her, "Beth, I'm coming with you."

They exited the house, making their way across the field.

"I wish everyone would follow their tasks." Beth frowned, "Meg is trying, but she keeps getting distracted with Mr Brooke's letters. I know he sends two, one for the family and one for only her."

"Has your Mother ever been gone for so long?"

"Not really." Beth told her, "But even a day is difficult for me. I love her very much."

Elouise smiled, "I would love to join you on your trip to Mrs Hummel's but I must go to Mrs Gibson and take care of my duties there. In Amy's room, hidden in my bag is that envelope. Take some money and bring it to them, since we cannot all go."

They were almost to the door, "Really?" Beth smiled, "Would I be able to get some groceries and blankets for them?"

"You may do whatever you like, Beth."

When they reached the double doors, Beth hesitantly knocked. A man appeared, staring down at them.

Elouise smiled, "Is Laurie here? He is supposed to help with Mrs Gibson."

"He left awhile ago. He ordered for a carriage to take you there. I will have someone bring it up."

She slowly pursed her lips, nodding. Elouise looked down at Beth and gave her a thumbs up, "He'll love them, Beth!"

She turned and walked to the gravel pathway, watching as a carriage in deed was brought out and stopped in front of her. She carefully opened the door before the man could, she jumped in and closed it behind her. Elouise leaned against the seat, staring out the window with a confused expression as they began moving.

Why did he leave before she went to get him? Did he even remember how to get there, since he had only helped the first time she went. He hadn't been since, saying he couldn't risk getting anymore of his clothes ruined. Elouise played with the fabric of her navy dress, the one Meg had given her. It was a beautiful dress, and now her favourite. She brushed through her hair with her fingers, trying to make it look decent.

"Why are you trying to look nice for a boy?" She mumbled to herself, hands dropping into her lap. Elouise hardly thought about boys, but when she did it seemed the thoughts never left her mind. This had happened one other time back home, his name was Elliott Bernstein. Now, when she looked back she had no idea why he had caught her eye, considering he was the most rude boy she had ever met. He was charming, and had the looks but he was an awful human being. Perhaps that's why her Father had taken a liking to him. She was glad to be away from them both, and the arranged marriage.

The carriage stopped on the corner before Mrs Gibson's property, the door opened and the driver smiled, "You are to walk the rest of the way, ma'am. Mr Laurence's order."

She jumped from the carriage, "Thank you very much."

Elouise took off, running around the corner towards the familiar gates. A figure stood leaning against the fence, she slowed as she recognized Laurie.

"What are you doing?" She questioned, stopping in front of him.

He smiled, sweat trickling down his temples. "I did all the work. On my own!"

Elouise gave him an odd look, "What compelled you to do that? How long have you been here?"

"Since morning. This way." He began, taking off in the direction she had come, "This way we could spend the rest of the day together, without working."

"That is very sweet." She chuckled, "But, what if I do not want to spend the day with you?"

"Then, I would be been extremely embarrassed."

Elouise grinned, "So, where are we going?"

He glanced down at her, dark hair plastered to his forehead. She wanted to move it out of his eyes, but refrained herself.

"It's a surprise."