Thirty Six

Chapter Thirty Six:

In the year of 1869 did Elouise and Laurie make it to Charlotte Town. They had traveled all over, finally stopping in her hometown.

A few days prior did they receive word of Beth March's passing.

Elouise didn't know what to thing as she read the letter, enclosed with the date of the funeral that would take place a week from now. They did not speak of it, as if she heard a mention she was afraid of breaking down. She had lived with those girls for years, she loved them like they were blood. Elouise could not bear to think how Meg, Jo and Amy were holding up, they all must be torn— and Marmee, Elouise didn't want to know how it would feel to lose a child.

"Is this your childhood home?"

Elouise blinked, staring out at her parents home. It looked exactly as it did when she left, a beautiful cabin style. Laurie gripped her hand tightly, "We do not have to knock if you do not want too."

She shook her head, "I need to see this place one last time. I haven't been here since I left all those years ago."

Elouise took a deep breath, marching towards the front door. She knocked four times, stepping back and waiting next to her husband.

Her father answered the door, his lips formed a straight line.

"Hello father." She nodded.

"Elouise."

She blinked slowly, "I'm here to collect my belongings."

"They are not your belongings if I paid for them, dear."

Laurie tensed beside her, her fathers gaze now peering over at him.

"I've had enough." She huffed, storming past her father and into the house. She picked up her skirt and rushed up the stairs, right to her old bedroom. She didn't pay attention to old details, instead she dug in her closet and found a bag, stuffing anything inside.

Footsteps rushed up the staircase, "You need to leave!" Her fathers voice boomed.

"Why!" She yelled, turning to the doorway where he stood, "Why must I be punished because you are an arrogant, cruel human being!"

"Darling—"

"No! You will listen to me now, do you hear! I am collecting a few of my things and I will never be back, you will never have to see me again." She snapped, grabbing her bag and walking to her dresser. She grabbed her charm bracelet, doing it up on her wrist. One charm was still missing, and it was the leaf Laurie still wore around his neck. She placed a new pieces in and went back to her closet, finding her old teddy bear and adding that to bag. "I am sick of being controlled by you— why do you think I ran away!"

"You did not run away."

She slung the back over her shoulder, stomping past him. Laurie still stood outside, waiting patiently. "Why do you think I wanted to travel so bad! It was not for any of the reasons I said it was, I needed to get out of here! Now, you will never have to see me again."

Laurie took her bag, not wanting to be apart of all the squabbling.

"You may control mother, but you will never get ahold of me." She hissed, glaring at him. "Tell her our offer still stands."

"She is not here." Her father looked completely unfazed, instead he turned to Laurie. "You must let her know where she stands, boy. You show her who is in charge or they'll lose their minds."

Laurie's brows furrowed, a small laugh escaping his lips. "She stands beside me, in every way. Your daughter is not to be chained, sir. She has a mind of her own and is incredibly sound at making her own decisions. Perhaps if you treated your own wife with respect, she would actually love you."

Elouise grabbed his hand, leading him away from the house before her father knocked him out. They got into the carriage, she sat down and held her head in her hands. Laurie set her bag down on the floor, moving next to her.

"He does not deserve your tears." Laurie whispered, pulling her close.

But she was already in tears, for her mother who would never live her own life and Beth March, who would never walk the earth again.