Twenty Two

Chapter Twenty Two:

The surprise was the beach, which was a very different atmosphere when they were nearing the winter months.

"You've been staying with the March's almost a year now." He said as they walked across the sand.

"Has it really been that long?" She questioned shaking her head, "I should figure where I'm to go next, I'm sure they want their house back to normal as soon as possible. Especially with their Father recovering..."

"I don't think you should go so soon. You should stay here, with all of us."

"Those girls are going to go their own way as well. I'm sure they're sick of this town and want to experience something new."

Laurie sighed, this was not how he wanted this conversation to go.

"Did your wish come true?" She changed the subject, glancing up at him.

"Not yet." He answered honestly, "But I'm working on it."

She raised an eyebrow, "What is that supposed to mean?"

Laurie shrugged, looking out at the water. He grabbed her hand and lead her towards the water's edge. "Isn't it beautiful?" He asked.

She nodded, breathing in the fresh air. A smile found her face, "You know what else is beautiful?"

He looked down at her with an amused expression, "Tell me."

"The mold Amy is gifting you of her foot."

His face fell with confusion, "The... a foot mold?"

"Made of plaster, yes. Her foot got stuck in it earlier, it was quite the sight." Elouise nodded, "You better like it, she's worked very hard."

He laughed, "I shall cherish it with all my heart."

Elouise stared at their hands, she felt her cheeks flush. You're fine. Get yourself together. She thought with embarrassment.

"Is that my shoe lace?" His other hand brushed the lace, a small smile on his face. "I didn't realize you kept it."

Elouise pulled her hand away, staring at her wrist. "I... Uh, yes, I should have given back— I apologize."

"No, no." He said quickly, nudging her hand away from her wrist.

"But it's your—"

He pushed his collar aside and fiddled with a silver chain, "I think it's a good trade."

Her leaf charm dangled from the chain, and he quickly tucked it back under his shirt. "I wondered if anyone ever checked that box." She said.

"It's a beautiful charm, Elouise. Why part with it?"

She shrugged, "It reminds me of home."

Laurie stepped back, offering a hand. She hesitantly accepted and he spun her, "Tell me about your home, Elouise."

He pulled her close, her back against his him. "What is there to tell?"

"Tell me about your younger days." He said, "What was little Elouise up too?"

Elouise pursed her lips, "She was a hectic little bugger."

A laugh, "Hectic how?"

"She liked to run around the house, screaming at the top of her lungs." Elouise smiled, "She liked to laugh like she'd never laugh again and play with the animals outside."

"Animals?"

"I had pet squirrels and snails." She laughed, "Father despised when he found the squirrel in his office."

Laurie chuckled, "I once tried to bring a raccoon into the mansion. Grandfather was not happy."

She stepped away from him, turning so she could see his face. "What was little Theodore like?"

"Sad until he became little Laurie."

She whacked his arm, a smile on her face. "Did you roll in the mud? Build shacks and ride bikes?"

"Build shacks?"

"I don't know." She shrugged, "What do little boys do?"

Laurie paused, shoving his hands into his pockets. They stood by the water's edge, gazing at each other. Elouise opened her mouth to say something, but nothing came out. She pursed her lips, bringing her attention to the ground. She felt her cheeks burn, he was probably laughing at her on the inside.

"Might I ask you something, Elouise?"

She glanced up at him, "Yes."

"I was- this is a something... I mean." He shook his head, "Would you be interested-"

"Elouise!" A voice yelled.

She jumped, spinning to see Amy rushing down the beach. "Elouise!"

"Amy?" She called, meeting her half way. Laurie rushed behind her. "How did you find us?"

"I've been looking all over! Beth is ill." Amy heaved, "Something called scarlet fever!"

Elouise's eyes widened, grabbing her hand. "How is she doing?" They took off, "How bad is it?"

"I have to be sent to Aunt March's."

Laurie ran beside them, "Will she be alright?"

"I don't know!" Amy told them, "I don't even know what it is. You'll have to be sent with me to Aunt March's if you've never had scarlet fever."

"I've already had it."

Amy frowned, "How come everyone's had it but me?"

Elouise shook her head, "It's not something you want, Amy. It is a very deadly sickness, especially if you are not healthy."

"Beth is very healthy." Amy stated, as they ran off the beach, a carriage sitting and waiting. "Mr Laurence let us borrow it. Now get in, we must hurry."

They all filed in, Elouise watched as Amy stared out the window, picking her finger nails. She didn't want to be sent away, not when Beth may be in danger. They sat in silence, Elouise's gaze landed in her lap where she smoothed her skirt down. "Beth is a strong young lady. She will recover, Amy. We all know this."

Amy's eyes watered, "I know it is serious. They wouldn't be sending me away if it wasn't. I only want Beth to be okay."

"And she will be." Laurie leaned across and grabbed Amy's hand, gazing at her with a reassuring smile. "I'm sure my grandfather has fetched the best doctor. You will be back in no time, and she will be up and causing chaos with the rest of you ladies."

Amy nodded slowly, pulling her hand away. She leaned back against the window and resumed their position. Laurie sighed, moving closer to Elouise. "Beth is so young." She whispered to him, "She cannot— she..."

"This will not be spoken about in front of Amy." He whispered back, "And she won't. I won't let her."

Amy glanced over at them, "I'm glad you both love her as much as we do. That you truly care."

Elouise moved next to Amy, pulling her into a hug. "I love all you, so so much."

Amy wrapped her arms around her, a sob escaped the girls lips. "I'm very thankful you're in our lives, Elouise Myer."

"Everything will work itself out." She nodded, "It must."