Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen:

"What are we supposed to do without Meg?" Amy questioned, sprawled over the couch.

It had only been a few days, and already the girls ran out of ideas. "We're supposed to have fun." Jo sighed, "Fun that Meg wouldn't normally allow."

"And what kind of fun is that?" Elouise raised a brow.

"The kind where-" Jo jumped from the chair, pretending to fight the air. "-we don't have to be ladylike!" She tried to mimic her sisters voice but failed miserably, causing everyone to share a laugh.

"I'm still here." Amy nodded.

"I see that." Jo rolled her eyes, "Why don't we go on an adventure?"

This seemed to spark Amy's attention, "What kind of adventure?"

"The one where the wind tell us where to go!"

Beth shook her head from her piano, the girl had been so quiet and still Elouise had forgotten she was in the room with them. "I'm going over to Mr Laurence's."

"Finally going to peak at the piano?" Jo smiled, "I'm sure it so desperately wants to be played."

"I'm going over, no need to try and push me."

Jo rushed to the door, picking up her coat for a split second before hanging it back on the wall. Amy followed, but opted for her own jacket.

"Are you ready?" Elouise looked to Amy, "No running off though, we must all stick together."

"You're beginning to speak like Meg." Amy stuck her tongue out, following Jo outside. Elouise shouted a goodbye to the second you get March sister as she closed the door behind them. It was another spectacular day, the sun shining down upon them with little to no wind. They began walking across the field towards Laurie's homemade post office, which none of the other girls had seen yet. Elouise kept her key on her at all times, keeping it tucked in her boot so no one would take it. She contemplated taking the ribbon off and using it for her hair, but knew she would the lose the key quite quickly without the spark of colour against the gold.

"This was sweet of Lauire." Amy smiled, "Do you think he thought of it on his own or got the idea from someone else?"

"Is there anything in it?" Jo knocked on the wood, then leaning in so she could attempt to see through the key hole.

Elouise bent down and untied her boot, pulling it off and reaching inside.

"That's gross, Elouise." Amy said with a look of disgust on her face, "Why are you digging through your stinking shoes?"

She laughed, pulling the key out. "It's nice to know you think my shoes smell."

"Why do you keep your key hidden in your boot?" Jo watched as Elouise stepped up to the box and slipped the key in, she turned it and the lid popped down. They all peered into the empty box, all unsatisfied.

"He couldn't of left some coins in there or something?" Jo joked, "Should we leave him something? Do you suppose he actually checks?"

Elouise pursed her lips, digging in her dress pocket. "Let's see what we have here."

She revealed her palm, unveiling a quarter, stick, a leaf charm and a small crumpled slip of paper.

"Do you not wash your clothes?" Amy flicked her nose up, "Wouldn't these things get lost? Also, how does your dress have pockets?"

"I stitched them on myself and, no not often."

"I don't either, you're not alone." Jo nodded.

Amy frowned, "Can't we move along? This has already gotten boring."

"You can go home now if you like, leave the adventures to us grown ups." Jo glared, "Come along and be silent or go home and go mad. Choose, little Amy."

"I'm coming." Amy nodded, rushing off in another direction. Jo followed suit, leaving Elouise to lock up the box. She looked down at her hand, plucking the small charm and placing in the box. She wondered how it ended up in her pocket, while the bracelet it used to belong to was still back home in her room.

"Do not lose this, Theodore Laurence." She muttered to nobody, "Or I'll have your head."

She closed the lid and locked it, dropping her key into her boot and quickly lacing it up. Jo and Amy had wandered a good distance away, and she ran after them to catch up.

"Today's a lovely day for the beach." Amy sang, "Do you suppose that's an adventure?"

Jo nodded, "That will be an adventure for both Meg and Beth to join."

They walked next to each other, Amy eventually linking all their arms together as they went on their way. Elouise noticed this was the way they preferred to walk, as close to each other as possible, afraid one of them might fly away and be gone forever.

"Can we go to centre town and gaze at the shops?" Amy's eyes lit up, "I heard a new gown shop is opening."

"I don't like shopping." Jo said plainly.

Amy sighed, pulling her sister's arm gently. "It's not shopping, it's looking." 

Elouise snickered, "Looking is the worst when you can't afford the thing that catches your eye. And of course there is only one of each thing, which means if you do not purchase it then, it will be gone."

"Why don't we walk by the river towards your grandmothers house?" Jo questioned, "It's a far walk but I'm sure Amy would be interested in seeing where you used to live, Elouise."

"I disagree."

Amy's nose scrunched, "Everyone knows where Elouise lived, even if they didn't know of Elouise herself."

Elouise laughed, "I suppose it may be a good teaching for you Amy, seeing where my grandmother and I stayed would make you more appreciative for the home you live in now."

"The scenery on the way is quite beautiful, you may pick flowers if you'd like." Jo told her sister, "We can make an arrangement for mother when we return home."

"That sound's like a lovely idea." Amy grinned.

And a lovely idea it was.