Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen:

"Is she alright?" Elouise questioned as she entered the living room, where Jo paced and Meg sat staring at the far wall. Beth sat at her piano, hand wavering over the keys before falling back into her lap.

"Marmee is with her, getting her warm than drawing a hot bath." Meg sighed, "She said for us to give Amy some space."

Jo sighed, rubbing her eyes. "This is all my fault."

"No, it's mine." Meg crossed her arms, playing with the fabric of her dress. "I told her to follow you and apologize once you were in a good mood."

"I'm just glad she's alright." Beth said quietly.

Elouise pursed her lips, walking to Jo and stopping her from pacing. "You need to sit and calm down. Amy is going to be fine, stop worrying."

Jo nodded, squeezing beside Meg. "She normally doesn't stop moving." Beth chimed, "Jo, are you feeling alright?"

"She gets me so angry!" Jo huffed, "She burns my novel and somehow I am the bad one. Now she's almost gotten herself drowned. When will she stop being so careless?"

Elousie took a deep breath, watching Jo as her eyes welled. "She only looks up to you, Jo. Amy loves you and wants to be like you."

This got a laugh out of her, "She does not want to be like me. I detest anything lady-like, she hates that about me."

"She may not like your opinions and beliefs, but I believe it's your spirit she loves. That's what has inspired me while staying here." Elouise spoke, "You don't care what others think of you, it's take it or leave it. You're very strong willed and will not bend to society's standards. You are your own person, not a girl, not a woman but a person. You have your own thoughts, perspectives and dreams and you do not care who knows them. You're quite an inspiration, Jo March."

Meg smiled, "She's quite right."

"Spot on." Beth grinned.

Elouise sighed, finding herself leaning against the door frame of the kitchen, "Have you spoke to your mother about the money?"

"Not yet." Meg shook her head, "It is in my dresser drawer, hidden away."

Jo snorted, "You are lucky Amy did not mistaken my novel for the envelope of money."

They all shared a hushed laugh, looking from each girl to the next. "Can I ask another question?"

Elousie wasn't sure what they would say to her asking if she could stay longer than the planned two months. Almost a month and a half had already passed, and she knew her plans would not come into motion soon enough. Elouise had to earn enough money to catch a boat to New York City, where she decided she wanted to go next. She could figure the rest out after arriving, but for now she at least needed the money to get there. Besides, she wanted to stay here a little while longer. The March sisters felt like family, and she loved each one them as if they were own sisters.

"Would I perhaps... be able to extend by stay?" Elousie asked, "If not, there is no issue-"

"Of course you can. You may stay however long you like, Elouise. I know Marmee will say the same." Meg smiled.

"Amy's been thrilled since you've arrived. She says it's like having a sleepover every night." Beth nodded. "She won't stop telling me about it."

Elouise smiled, "You're all so kind."

"Even Jo?" Meg joked, earning a smack from Jo herself.

Beth began playing the piano, a small smile on her face. Elouise closed her eyes, listening to the melody as it floated from the instrument into the air. She was quite the player, a very talented girl.

"How come all of you girls have a talent?" Elousie questioned, "And I don't even have one?"

"All of us? I don't have one." Meg said.

Elousie rolled her eyes, "Please, Meg. You have acting, Jo with her writing, Amy with art and Beth with the magic fingers."

Beth giggled, "Magic fingers?"

"Yes. The most magical of them all!"

Footsteps gently descended the stairs and Marmee appeared, "She's alright. The bath was finally warm enough and that's where she'll stay until the water goes cold."

"Thank goodness." Jo muttered, "Is she angry?"

"Quite the opposite, actually. She's thrilled that you've forgiven her, and says she'll never do anything like what she did again."

Meg smiled, "At least she is alright."

"I'm just glad you got her when you did, Jo." Marmee sighed, sitting down on the couch.

"Actually Elousie got to her first. She was already trying to get her out when we got there, starting yelling for us to find a branch." Jo nodded, "Bless your soul, Elouise."

Marmee looked to Elouise, "Thank you, from the bottom of my heart."

Elouise only nodded, gazing over at the clock that hung on the wall. "I'm late!" She exclaimed.

Jo bounced off the chair, "Late for what?"

"I've been employed by my grandmother's friend." She rushed towards the stairs, "Do you mind if I borrow one of the costumes from the club?"

"Doing what? And why would you need a costume?"

"Farm work. It's very difficult to do in a dress."

Meg gasped, sitting up. "You plan to wear trousers to work in public? Have you gone mad?"

"Those costumes were expensive, Elouise." Jo said.

She nodded, hopping down a few steps. "You're right, my apologies. I shall run over to Lauire's and see if he has any to spare, I'm sure he has more than enough. While I'm out, speak to Marmee about the letter."

"What letter?" Marmee questioned as Elouise yanked on her boots and shouted a goodbye, slipping out the door and taking off into a run. She was across the field in no time, approaching the large double doors.

"Hello!"

Elouise stopped, gazing up to the second floor. Laurie hung out the far window, she recalled it to be the library. "Let me in."

"That sounds awfully suspicious, Elouise."

She sighed, "Come down here if you want to have a conversation. It's rude to speak to a lady from a story above."

He smiled, disappearing from the window, a minute later reappearing at the door. He swung it open, motioning her inside, "What can I do for you, Miss Myer?"

"Would you mind doing me a favour?"

He made one of his famous faces, "I suppose."

"I need to borrow a pair of trousers."

"Am I hearing you correctly?"

She nodded, "Doing farm work in a dress is quite difficult and I am already late. Yes or no?"

"May I join you?"

Elouise pursed her lips, "I'm not splitting the earnings with you, understand?"

Laurie grinned, "My room is upstairs. Follow me."