Thirty Three

Chapter Thirty Three:

The March household was more quiet without Meg, and Jo was most definitely taking it the hardest. The attic was now her room, and her room alone. The girl was also not very happy with the news Amy shared later that night of Meg's wedding. Aunt March had invited Amy with her to Paris as her companion, an offer that the woman had already asked Jo.

"Meg is the sensible one." Amy quipped packing her bags while Elouise brushed through her hair. "And I am the one insisting the others that they act as they are supposed too. This place will fall apart without us."

Elouise set the brush down, tucking her hair behind her ears. "You do not need to worry about your sisters, they will be fine. Jo wants to go to New York and become a famous writer anyways, no need to worry about her. Beth is amazingly talented, she will find her way soon."

"What will you do?" Amy questioned.

"I suppose I will finally leave your beautiful home and go off somewhere. Perhaps I will travel with Jo to New York, spend some time there."

"Do you have enough to get there?"

She nodded, "Yes, my work with Mrs Gibson has paid off these last two years. I should have enough for New York and another place but rather it be close by so I do not get stranded with no money."

Amy smiled, finishing packing and jumping on her bed. "I will become the best painter Paris has ever seen!"

"I believe that." Elouise smiled, "You are a very talented girl. All of you March's are."

There was a knock on the door and Beth peaked her head in, "Laurie is here for you, Elouise."

She raised a brow as she stood up, taking a quick glance at herself in the mirror. She wore one of her own dresses she'd had since her arrival here, the colours even more faded than before. Elouise made her way down the stairs, finding Laurie standing in the doorway.

"Care for a walk on this beautiful day?" He questioned, a smile on his face.

"I could not possibly turn an offer like that down."

"It's a quite easy one to turn down, actually." Jo snickered from the sofa, earning a laugh from Elouise as she bid them goodbye and shut the door behind them.

Instead of walking towards his home like they normally did, they walked around the March household and began walking to the woods.

"Where are we going?"

"It's a surprise."

Elouise pursed her lips as they approached the thicket of trees, "Is that surprise going to be death?"

He shot her a look, "Pardon?"

"I'm not sure. You never hear good things about the woods." She said, looking around cautiously as they followed the path. "I am not a fan of the woods."

He chuckled, "Is it still frightening with someone else?"

"Do you suppose there are any bears around?"

"Elouise." He said.

"I'm only asking."

It was windy today, despite the beautiful weather. It seemed they hardly got any rain anymore, it was always sunny and warm. Perhaps this meant the winter would be overly harsh, like every year before.

They walked in silence, Laurie leading the way. He grabbed her hand and changed course, stepping off the trail. She said nothing, following him. When the trees finally came to an end, they walked down a grassy hill.