Twenty Seven

Chapter Twenty Seven:

"Amy, don't you fall and hurt yourself." Elouise rushed to the girls side, she was leaning on a chair trying to prop a garland up.

It was Christmas yet again, and Elouise couldn't believe she'd been here for two of them. The girls were all setting up decorations, Elouise making sure that Amy did not injure herself trying to have the decor set perfectly.

Marmee sat with Mr Laurence who had shown up hours ago, though Laurie was missing from his side. Elouise couldn't deny her disappointment when the boy failed to join them, but she pushed past it and glared at Jo who could see it on her face.

Beth sat on the couch, playing with her dolls. They all agreed it was best for her to rest, considering she had just recovered from weeks of being ill. Jo rushed around with Hannah setting the table, preparing for their feast.

"Hello!" Laurie peaked his head into the living room, a large smile on his face. "And here's another Christmas gift for the March family!"

The door swung open and Mr March appeared, supported by Mr Brooke. Elouise watched as the girls froze, mayhem ensuing. Beth began to cry while Amy fell off her chair. Jo dropped a dish and Meg raced to Mr Brooke and kissed him right there in the middle of the living room.

Marmee stood up and rushed to her husband, holding him tight as the girls followed suit. Elouise remained by the kitchen, Laurie finding a place beside her as they watched the family reunite.

"My little women. How you've grown, and how proud I am of you. Each of you. Merry Christmas, my dears."

Marmee smiled, gazing at her husband lovingly. "Thank god, thank god you're home. Now I can be angry with you in person."

Elouise watched as they family hugged once again, all asking their father questions. The room was filled with smiles and delight, joy radiated off the March's.

She wondered what her father was doing, if he was setting supper up with her mother or sitting alone in his office. Did he tell her that he told their daughter she cannot return home, or did he keep that to himself like many other things.

"You must be Elouise." Mr March appeared in front of her, "My wife has told me much about you."

"All good things, I hope." She smiled.

He chuckled, "Thank you."

Jo came bouncing to his side, wrapping an arm around him. "We've prepared a wonderful dinner for us all. Come sit, we will set your plate."

She lead her father to the kitchen, sitting him down at the end of the table. They all filed in after, Meg sat next to Mr Brooke while the others sat as close to their father as possible. Marmee took the other end, Mr Laurence and Laurie found spots next to each other while Elouise sat squeezed between Amy and Laurie.

"Merry Christmas!" Mr March beamed, raising a water glass. "To everyone here who has stayed by my little women's side. To my wonderful wife, who to my amazement is still here with me—"

Marmee snickered, "I'm quite shocked as well."

Jo chuckled while Amy slouched in her seat, "May we eat?"

Mr March beamed, "Enjoy!"

•••

After dinner they all lounged in the living room, talking of stories and filling the room with laughter. Mr March talked about his time at war, the sad stories and the ones that managed to be some what happy. He told them of all the times he spotted something that reminded him of his girls, like whenever he saw the sun, when it decided to peak out, he saw Meg. Or when he talked with the younger soldiers, their grit and bravery reminded him of his Jo. Whenever he saw the odd paint brush, which a man managed to smuggle with him, he saw Amy and whenever someone mumbled or hummed a tune he remembered his Beth.

"We are glad you're home." Meg smiled from the kitchen, she sat at the empty table with Mr Brooke by her side. Jo sat on the floor by the foot of the chair her father sat in, Marmee leaning on the arm rest.

Amy bounced around the room, "This is the best Christmas ever!"

Music filled the space as Beth sat at her piano, playing away. Elouise watched as they all looked content, today was not a day to worry. Their father was home and Beth was healthy, she couldn't help but thank the heavens for it. This family deserved all the happiness in the world, and right in this moment it seemed to be true.

Laurie stood up from the sofa, making his way towards Beth. Elouise looked to Jo who was staring at Meg and Mr Brooke, unease set in her eyes. Eventually the girl looked to Elouise, and she raised an eyebrow.

The music suddenly stopped, the calming rhythm of it vanishing. She began to play something new, something that wasn't Christmas themed at all, but a more up beat tune. Elouise recognized it moments later, it was the song that played when she ran into Laurie at the party last Christmas, when she first met him. There was space in the centre of the living room as everyone was seating close to the wall on furniture as Laurie grinned walking towards her. He held out a hand, "Do you think you've got the hang of it?"

Meg clapped her hands to the beat from the kitchen, Elouise glanced back to see the other girl laugh.

"I've had lots of practice." She took his head, he lead her to the empty space and positioned her hands where they needed to be. They danced around the space, Elouise breaking out into fits of laugher. When the song finished, Beth picked up another one. Elouise broke away from Laurie and stopped in front of Jo, "Have some fun, Jo." She said, the girl only glaring.

"I don't dance."

Elouise grabbed the girls hand and propped her up, "So we will not dance." She jumped back, waving her arms around in a ridiculous manner. "We will move as we please."

Jo gave a small smile as she twirled in the air, landing on the floor in a dramatic pose. Amy jumped next to Elouise, "I want to dance!"

She gave a little hop, swaying her hips around. Elouise laughed as Meg and Mr Brooke squeezed into the cramped space.

They all laughed and danced until late in the night, all having the most fun together they would have for years.