Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen:

The play was over, but Elouise didn't want to leave yet. The theatre was loud with people making their way out of the building, while she sat there staring at the stage.

"Elouise, we must go." Laurie said to her as he stood up.

She nodded, gazing at the details across the stage. Little creatures had been carved from the wood, such a detail Elouise loved finding. It was ridiculous, she knew.

"Oh, yes." She followed him out, rushing to catch up with the others.

Meg and as she learned, John, were quite ahead while Jo bounced between them. Elouise smiled as John offered Meg an arm, to which she accepted.

John seemed like a good fit for Meg, Elouise was quite excited to see how it would turn out. 

Elouise stopped walking when she realized Laurie was no longer next to her, she turned to see him standing just behind mockingly sticking his arm out.

Elouise found herself next to him, letting him take her hand. "Are you a good at running, Theo?" She questioned.

He made a face, "Pardon?"

"I'd prefer to sit on the end, away from that troubling horse that smells awful." She said, remembering the ride here. It seemed the Laurence's owned a gassy horse, and it was situated right in front of where she had sat.

"That would be Chip."

She laughed, pulling him to a stop. She pulled her hand away from him and picked up the ends of her dress, placing a foot in front of her. Her dark hair was up against her head, tied beautifully with a ribbon. Meg has kindly done it, though Elouise preferred her hair down.

"On three." She smiled. "One, two—"

But Laurie was already off, running in between people and jumping over branches. Elouise huffed, chasing after him. He wasn't a very fast runner, she discovered as she quickly caught up. He flew past Jo, causing her to mumble a string of words to only shout them when Elouise came by.

"You cheater!" Elouise laughed, as he reached the carriage.

He was breathing heavily as he attempted to fix his hair, "I am no such thing."

"Mr Laurence." Mr Brooke appeared with a slight glare, saying nothing else as he helped Meg into the carriage and disappeared in himself. From behind him, Jo mimicked his words before jumping in after.

"You are quite the terrible runner, Theodore Laurence."

He chuckled, pulling himself up onto the landing. "Come, sit on the end."

She smiled as he helped her up, indeed sitting in the middle.

"We're ready." He told Ed, and once again they were off.

•••

The March household was unbelievably quiet when they all returned, Beth sat in the living room playing with her dolls while Amy lounged in a chair reading a book.

Jo rushed to the stairs, "Meg, you're a million times better than she was- although she was a terrific fainter!"

"I wonder how she managed to turn as white as did." Meg mused.

"I'm sure we could all make ourselves faint if we held our breaths long enough." Elouise chuckled.

Jo's footsteps scrapped on the floorboards above them, shouting, "Ugh, that Mr Brooke, could he be anymore... obsequious?"

Meg chuckled, hollering back, "I thought he was very well mannered!"

"I'm sure she's only jealous he's showing you as much attention as she does." Elouise gave a smile, "She loves you very much. And does not want to share."

"Hold on!" Jo shouted, "Let me just get this idea down."

Elouise waltzed to Beth, who was slumped on the couch. "And what is her name?" She asked pointing at the doll.

Meg made her way over, "Beth, what's your favourite eye colour?"

"Purple."

Her sister sighed, "Mr Brooke has blue eyes and an old soul which is much more important than money."

Jo slowly stepped back down into the living room, looking from each girl to the next. "Has anyone seen my novel?"

"No." Meg and Elouise said.

"No, why?" Beth questioned.

Amy shifted from her spot, bringing the book closer to her face.

"Amy." Jo glared, "You've got it."

"No, I haven't."

Jo lunged at her sister, grabbing ahold of her shoulders, shaking her. "That's a lie!"

"It isn't! I haven't got it- I don't know where it is and I don't care!"

"Tell me or I'll make you!"

Meg leaned forward, trying to pry Jo from Amy. "Jo, don't!" She shouted, "Marmee!"

"I burnt it!" Amy screamed.

Jo froze, staring wide eyed at her sister. Elouise ran and pushed Amy back, away from Jo.

"I burnt it! I burnt your book! I told you I'd make you pay and I did!"

Jo looked like she was going to explode, "You wicked girl! You wicked, wicked girl! I can never write it again! I'll never forgive you for as long as I live!"

She shoved Elouise out of the way, dragging her sister down to the floor. Jo straddled her, whacking and punching. Meg screeched as Beth ran from the room, the girls fighting on the ground.

Meg and Elouise rushed over, trying to pry them apart. Marmee came dashing in from the kitchen, managing to end their fight.

"What is going on!" Marmee yelled, pushing them apart.

Jo looked unbelievably angry while Amy looked like she wanted to cry.

"She burnt my novel!" Jo yelled, eyes watering. "The one I wrote for father! She burnt it!"

Jo ran from the room, throwing herself up the stairs. Amy began to cry, shaking her head.

"Why did you that?" Meg shook her head, running after Jo.

Elouise frowned, watching Amy.

"She'll never forgive me!" Amy cried. "Do you think she will?"

"I think what you did was a very rude thing, burning something irreplaceable that's close to her heart."

Amy sniffled, "I only wanted to go with you all."

"And now Jo will not let you go anywhere with her. You should have thought about your actions before doing it, now you've certainly ruined it." Elouise closed her eyes, "But what's done is done, and the only thing for you to do is apologize and never do it again."

A tear fell down her cheek, "I feel awful."

Marmee walked in from the kitchen, a glass of water in her hand. "Elouise is right, you need to apologize. Come now, Amy."

Elouise watched as they walked upstairs, Amy nodding down at her before disappearing onto the second level. She made her way over to the couch, flopping down on it. She sighed, hearing Jo's weeps echoing from the attic.