Ten

Chapter Ten:

Elouise made her way back to the March household, after spending a good chunk of time bargaining with Mrs Gibson.

She agreed to let Elouise tend her farm chores, a good chunk of coin as payment each day. She was quite pleased with herself, though she didn't start for another few days.

By the time Elouise saw the March house, her toes had nearly fallen off, frozen in her boots. She was almost at the doorstep when she heard loud cries coming from across the land. She looked at the Laurence mansion in confusion, taking off in a run in it's direction.

She saw Amy slowly making her way to the front door, Laurie was helping her in.

"Amy!" Elouise yelled, catching the two's attention. "Amy! Are you alright?"

Her eyes were red as she shook her head, she was definitely the one Elouise had heard. She raised her palm, "I've been attacked!"

"Attacked?" Elouise eye's widened, "What do you mean?"

"Both of you, come in. Mr Brooke will lead you upstairs." Laurie demanded, ushering them in. They followed Mr Brooke silently up the stairs and into a large open study.

Amy sat down on a long sofa, staring at her cut up hand. "Mr Davis hit me."

"And who is Mr Davis?"

"My teacher! All I did was draw a little picture—"

Elouise's eyes set to a glare, causing Amy to pause mid sentence. "Men should not be hitting girls, or anyone for that matter! Everyone should be keeping their hands to themselves." She turned and headed for the door.

"Where are you going?" Amy called out.

"To show Mr Davis how it feels to have his hand belted!"

Laurie lunged towards her, grabbing ahold of her arm and pulling her back into the room. "Oh, that's definitely not a good idea."

"I'm sick of men getting away with everything!" She huffed, "I don't think it would be so bad just to give him a little whack, with a book perhaps?"

He pursed his lips, pretending to think on the answer. "No. No, no violence. Still not a good idea."

A servant entered the room, carrying bandages and tonics. Elouise rushed over, "I can handle this, it's alright."

Amy looked at her with confusion, "You can?"

"My grandmother Mabel was always covered in bandages." She cracked a smile, "She loved getting her hands dirty. A hardworking old wrench, she was."

Amy hissed as Elouise cleaned off her hand with a soaked rag, dripping it in some alcohol to disinfect. She dried the skin gently, wrapping a thick bandage around a few times before tying it off. "Almost as good as new, isn't it?"

"At least it's not my painting hand." She mumbled.

Laurie situated himself next to Elouise, "Do girls cry a lot?"

"I beg your pardon?"

Muffled voices sounded from the hall, "She's in here..." A voice faded.

Meg appeared in the doorway, rushing to Amy as soon as she saw her. "What happened, little lamb?"

Jo only stared at her little sister accusingly, "What did you do?"

"Just a drawing. And then... Mr Davis hit me!" Amy mumbled, breaking down as she held up her hand. Meg took off her glove, examining the bandage.

"Oh." Elouise leaned towards Laurie, "I understand now."

He cracked a smile, "I'm assuming no. But growing up is difficult."

"Christoper Columbus, look at that."

Elouise trailed behind Laurie as they walked over to where Jo stood near a wall of bookcases. Now that she was up and not fussing over Amy, the room seemed to focus itself. It appeared to be a library, shelves covered in books were wall to wall. A large painting hung on the wall, over a grand fireplace.

"That's my grandfather. Are you scared of him?"

Jo shook her head, "I'm not scared of anyone! He looks stern, but my grandfather was much more handsome."

A cough echoed and they all spun to see Mr Laurence with Marmee. "Jo! We do not compare grandfathers."

Mr Laurence raised a brow, "You think he's more handsome, hey?"

"Oh no, you are very handsome. I didn't mean..."

He chuckled, "I knew your mother's father. You've got his spirit."

"Thank you, sir."

Marmee spotted Amy on the couch with Meg, she dashed over to her daughter, kneeling on the floor. "You are not to attend that school anymore."

"Good. That man has always been an idiot." Jo huffed.

Laurie cracked a smile, "You missed Elouise trying to run out of here to give that man a good whack to the head."

Jo looked amused as she glanced at Elouise, "Did she now?"

"And I would!" She crossed her arms, "Nobody has any right to lay a hand on her."

Marmee looked back at her with a warm smile, "I appreciate you wanting to stand up for my Amy, Elouise. But, as for school, Jo will teach you." She focused her attention back to her daughter.

"Me!" Jo exclaimed, "I already teach Beth!"

Meg nodded at Jo, "You're a good teacher."

"Yes, women being taught at home is more proper, I believe." Mr Brooke stared at Meg, to which she shifted on the couch. She met his gaze, "Only because the schools for women are so poor."

His face paled, "Indeed, quite right."

Elouise smothered her laugh, breaking out in a coughing fit. Mr Brooke sent her a look, causing her to cough more. She turned and ran into Laurie, hiding her face against his shoulder. He tensed, and Elouise couldn't stop, her coughing turned laughing.

"He's staring at you." Laurie whispered.

She took a deep breath and turned, not making eye contact with Mr Brooke. Amy huffed, "I wish all the girls would leave his terrible school and that he would die."

"You did wrong, Amy, and there will be consequences." Marmee spoke, turning to Laurie as she stood up. "Thank you so much for taking care of Amy. My girls do have a way of getting themselves into mischief."

"So do I!" He exclaimed, amusement sparkling in his eyes.

The woman smiled, "Then you should run over and we'll take care of you."

"And please come here, whenever you'd like. And tell Beth to come too."

Jo beamed, "Yes! Beth would adore the piano."

"Is she the quiet one?" Mr Laurence questioned.

Meg nodded, "That's our Beth."

Mr Laurence stood up straight, adjusting his suit. "Tell the little girl to use our piano."

"And Jo, borrow any book you'd like." Laurie added.

Amy jumped from her place on the couch as Marmee began making her way out, "And may I come and look at the paintings?"

"We must be going. Girls?" Marmee disappeared out of the room. Everyone followed suit, shouting goodbyes and thank you's.

"Thank you." Elouise whispered to Laurie, she ran from the room after Jo, who was already skimming through the book she had taken. When they all were outside, Jo coughed into the pages. She glanced at Elouise, "The boy likes you." She said before rushing forward, leaving Elouise to walk alone, at the back of the group.