Thirty Four

Chapter Thirty Four:

"Is it true?"

"Why haven't you told us?"

Elouise closed the book she was reading, placing in on the grass. She sat outside on the front lawn, enjoying the warmth of the sun. It had been a few days since Laurie asked her to marry him, and she opted to let him announce the news to everyone.

Amy and Beth grinned at her as they hovered, "How dare you keep this a secret!"

Elouise smiled, "I'm not one for theatrics."

"I do not care!" Amy huffed, "Is it true or not?"

"Are you really to marry Laurie!"

She nodded slowly, "It is true."

Amy squealed, "I knew you loved him. A shame I never had a chance."

"He talks about you rather a lot, Amy." Elouise told her, "He's been expecting a foot mold but has never received one."

She made a face, trying to remember whatever Elouise was talking about. When she did, her cheeks flushed. "You told him!"

"Yes." Elouise nodded, "But that was years ago, he has certainly let it go."

Beth gazed over at the manor across the field, "First Meg, and now you."

"I want to be next." Amy said, "After I establish my career in the arts, of course."

Elouise smiled, pulling herself off the ground, grabbing her book. "I should go inside and help Hannah with lunch."

"No, you are not."

"Amy." Elouise said entering the house, "Come in and help."

"I need to finish packing for Paris!" She told her, rushing up the stairs.

Beth followed her sister up the stairs, leaving Elouise alone in the living room. She moved to the kitchen, where Hannah was making a pitcher of fresh lemonade. "May I help with anything?"

"No, no." Hannah shook her head, sending a grin her way. "Why don't you invite Laurie over for lunch. I'm sure he would love that."

"Hannah."

"Elouise." She chuckled, "It was not my idea, but Mrs March. You are apart of the family, they want to interrogate the man."

She raised a brow, "Then perhaps it's not the best idea."

"It will be ready shortly, go fetch him before I send Amy to get him."

Elouise sighed, placing her book on the kitchen table before escaping through the back door. She took off in a run, waving to Jo who was about to walk into the home.

She raced across the field, knocking on the door a handful of time's before stepping back. The door swung open to reveal Mr Laurence, a large smile on his face. "Welcome!" He beamed, "What are you waiting for? Come in!"

She shuffled inside, glancing around for Laurie.

"Congratulations, Elouise." Mr Laurence said, "I'm very happy for both of you."

"Thank you, Mr Laurence."

Footsteps sounded down the stairs, Laurie appeared at the bottom and grinned when he spotted her.

"Elouise!" He walked over and pulled her into a hug, kissing her cheek as they parted. "How are you on this fine day?"

She laughed, "I am wonderful, how are you?"

"Doing better now that you're here."

She rolled her eyes, "Have you had lunch?"

"No."

"Would you like to join me for lunch with the March's?"

He held her hand as they walked towards the open door as if in answer, "See you soon, Grandfather."

She waved as the door closed, walking close to him. Laurie took a deep breath, "I have a surprise for you after."

"Can you tell me now?"

He snorted, "Then it would not be a surprise. But, you should perhaps tell the March's you will be departing within the next week."

"Within the next week?" She questioned.

He nodded as they reached the front door, she slowly opened it and was greeted by Mr March.

"You've both arrived right on time." He told him, motioning towards the kitchen.

Everyone was already seated, including Meg and John. Elouise grinned, waving to the oldest March sister.

"How is life away from here?" Elouise questioned, looking between the couple.

"I do miss everyone." Meg nodded, "But I cannot wait for what the future holds."

Marmee smiled, watching both her Laurie take a seat. "Congratulations, to both you."

Elouise chuckled, "How many people know?"

"When you were at Mrs Gibson he hugged everyone of us and only kept saying 'she said yes'." Beth said, "We figured out the rest."

"He found us as well." Meg laughed.

Elouise looked over at him, he shrugged, "I couldn't help myself."

They shared a laugh, Amy raised her glass and cheered, "To another happy get together!"

•••

Laurie led her throughout the manor, showing her each and every room.

"I didn't realize how many rooms where here." She let him take her to yet another room.

This one had bare walls, with a large desk propped in the middle of the room. "This is supposed to be my own study, but I'm not fond of studying, and it's also very dark in here."

"It's also barren."

"Yes." He said, pointing to the far wall where a sheet covered something rectangular. "But what is under the cloth?"

Elouise walked over as he motioned for her to take it, she chuckled as she yanked the fabric off and it fell to the ground. Underneath was a sheet of wood, a map of the United States pegged to it.

"What is this?"

Laurie smiled, walking to the desk. He sat on the top, opening one of the doors on the side. He pulled out a small decorative throwing knife, she made a face as he held it out to her.

"Throw this at the board, and wherever it lands, we shall go."

Elouise found herself next to him, "Are you sure?"

"I've always wanted to see the world." He told her, "Why not have fate decide where we go first?"

She sat next to him, leaning her head on his shoulder. "Would it be absurd to perhaps travel with Amy to Paris, to make sure she arrives safely to her Aunt March?"

He wrapped his arms around her, "That sounds like a wonderful idea. I've been there once or twice, I do believe you will love it."

She nodded, "I'm very glad I met you."

Laurie smiled but said nothing, only pulled her close as he did many times before. He could not wait for what the future held for them.