EPISODE I.

[the calm]

[the calm]

Two days before Hurricane Agatha hit the shores of the Outer Banks, The Pouges were, of course, at John B's house. They had just gotten back from surfing, lounging lazily in the living room. The waves were rougher and bigger than anything Duchess had surfed before, thanks to the tropical storm looming. But, thanks to The Pogues teachings, she was able to hitch a ride on a least four good waves.

"Hey," Kie started," Have you guys started prepping for Agatha? My parents are freaking out about The Wreck." The Wreck, the famous Outer Banks resturant that Kie's parents owned, was on the water. Duchess wondered if after the hurricane, she would have a job.

"How bad do you guys get hit down here," Duchess asked. This was her first summer on the Outer Banks. She wanted to know what she should be prepared for.

JJ chuckled," I forget you're a city girl sometimes. You've never experienced a hurricane huh?"

Duchess flicked his forhead before responding. "You're an idiot JJ. New York is on the coast. Manhattan is literally an island. I just want to know how much more severe it is down here than it is up north."

"Shit," JJ responded, rubbing his hand over where she flicked him," Sorry Duchess. I'm not too worried about this storm. As long as you've prepped you're grandmother's house for the storm, you shouldn't have anything to worry about."

John B nodded," Yea and besides, you're pretty far inland so it won't be as hard on you."

Duchess sighed, feeling relieved that she didn't have to worry," Thanks guys." Half a beat later, her anxiety hit her like a train. "Shit!"

All The Pouges looked at her, confused by her outburst. "Can I have the time," she asked them.

"Twelve thirty," Pope supplied," Why?"

"Because I totally promised my grandmother I would help her put sandbags around the house," She explained as she frantically ran around John B's house, collecting all her belongings. "Sorry to ditch you guys so soon."

"Hey don't worry about it," John B said," See you after the storm?"

"Most definitely," she replied, making her way to the door. "Kie, you need me to help close up The Wreck tonight?"

"Ugh, Duchess you're a lifesaver. Come around five," Kie said graciously.

"Of course." And with that she was out the door, walking up towards her bright red Jeep, a birthday gift from her dad before he was locked up. As she climbed in the front seat she heard someone call her.

"Duchess wait up," JJ was jogging up to her car.

"Did I forget something," she asked as he approached.

"No, I'm coming to help you out."

Duchess smiled at him," Thanks JJ, really. But, I think we'll be okay."

JJ didn't listen to a word she said. Instead, he made his way to the passenger seat and hopped in. "Let me do this Duchess. You and your grandmother have done a lot for me this past year and I- I want to make up for it."

Duchess locked eyes with the boy who had become her best friend. "You don't need to make up for it."

Duchess knew through fleeting comments that came from The Pogues that JJ's father was about as shitty as they came. Now that was something they could relate on. She had told him that too, one day when they were smoking together after school. He was complaining about his dad and stupidly she blurted," At least your dad didn't get thrown in prison and left you alone."

JJ had stared at her for a moment. "Ah, so that's why you're here."

But as they became closer, as they spent more time together. Duchess had come to realize that JJ's father was more than just a sleazeball like hers. She would notice when JJ came to school with bruises on his arms, cuts on his lip. But she never said anything, never felt like it was her place. Until one night, when he showed up at her doorstep, teary eyed and bleeding.

"I don't have anywhere else to go," he whispered simply when she opened the door. Since that night, he had come to sleep on her couch on several other occasions, grateful for Duchess and her grandmothers hospitality.

"I know I don't," JJ said, breaking her from her thoughts," But let me do this as a thank you. To you and Tabitha."

She smiled at him, a soft smile that only he ever saw. "Sure JJ. I'm sure she'd appreciate it."

Hours after Duchess and JJ helped her grandmother prep for the storm, Duchess found herself at The Wreck, helping Kie prep, as promised.

The two girls were sitting at the bar, packing glass cups into boxes, Kie catching her up on what she missed after she left.

"Honestly, Duchess, you didn't miss much," her friend explained," John B and Pope did argue about music for a while though."

Duchess scoffed," Those two have no taste, what the hell would they be arguing about?"

Kie laughed," I said the exact same thing. How'd everything go with prep at your place?"

"Honestly pretty good," Duchess explained," I thought JJ was just going to be you know, JJ, but he turned out to be a huge help."

"What's going on with you two, anyway," Kie asked, rasing an suggestive eyebrow at the brunette girl sitting next to her.

Duchess smacked her hand with the rag she was using to clean the cups and laughed," Absolutely nothing. JJ just came along because he feels like he owes something to my grandmother for letting him stay from time to time."

Kie scoffed," That's total bullshit. Before you came along, he was always crashing at John B's when shit got bad. He still crashes there more frequently than he crashes with you. And I don't think JJ has done anything like that."

"Yea well that's because John B lives alone," Duchess deadpanned," He didn't do it for me. He did it for Tab."

"Okay whatever," Kie rolled her eyes," that still doesn't explain the way he looks at you."

It was now Duchess' turn to roll her eyes," JJ looks at every girl a certain way. And besides, no Pouge-on-Pogue macking. Right?"

Kie sighed, shaking her head. God, Duchess was oblivious. "Yea. Right."