Chapter 32

Sophie combed her black long hair and plaited it as she stared at the night sky from the window of her room in the Slytherin tower. Her meeting with George at Three Broomstick kept replaying on her mind since she came back to Hogwarts castle in the evening. She tried distracting herself by reading a book, stroll to Quidditch pitch and even preparing herself for tomorrow's lessons, but she failed.

'This is a nightmare.' She rubbed her eyebrow.

'How can I stop him? But if I don't, he will definitely hate me. I can't lose him too. He's the only friend I have close to my heart.' She sat by the window and wrapped her arms around knees.

The only reason Sophie felt like returning to Hogwarts, as a teacher is the thought that Fred might be here even as a ghost. But soon enough she found that his return would be impossible. She felt stupid hanging into such thought at the first place. She wanted to run back. But it was George's presence made her stop. He wasn't Fred, but he was her friend. A friend who she always found peace at. Friend who always understood her. And he looked exactly like Fred.

But he cannot love her, because he will hate her if he found out the truth. The truth that haunted her for 11 years. The truth that made her hate herself for all this time. And the truth which made George lost his own brother.

"George, don't do this to me. I can't lose you too. If you kept doing this I wouldn't be able to hold back. You know I can't love you, because if I do, I'll lose you. Just like Fred. Just like everyone else." She said to the night.

Few days later, Sophie was having breakfast in the Great Hall, when the morning post delivered. She didn't expect any letters, so when a barn owl landed on table next to her, she looked at it surprised. "To me?" she asked the owl, but owl turned its head and started to pecking at her pumpkin juice goblin.

Sophie retrieved the parchment roll tied to the owl and read it.

Need to talk. Meet me at Threebroomstick, saturday evening.

Sophie, I'll be waiting. I'll wait till you come.

-George

She read the note again and again and bit her lip as she tapped her fingers on the table.

"Are you alright, Sophie?" McGonagall who sat next to her on the teacher's table asked her observing Sophie's nervous look.

"Oh yes, Minerva. I-I am good. Very well." Sophie smiled weakly at Headmistress.

"You should try these cookies. They are delicious!" McGonagall pushed a plate of chocolate cookies to Sophie.

"Thanks!"

Sophie sat on the benches in Quidditch pitch and watched the Slytherin team practicing Quidditch.

"Why, it is Professor Dixon, never knew you are interested in Quidditch " said a familiar voice.

"Neville! You neither" Sophie smiled at Neville Longbottom, who teaches Herbology in school. Neville laughed and joined her on the bench.

"Well, I am not a big fan of Quidditch back then. Only watched when my friends played" Neville said.

"Me too"

"Oh, your friends, you mean Fred and George? Those two are another reason I avoid Quidditch. You know, I always found peace of not getting to trouble in common room when they were here for practices or a match."

"Were they giving you a hard time?"

"Not really, But you know, I guess they have tested half of their products on me, obviously without my knowledge." Neville said.

Sophie laughed.

"Anyway, Thanks to them I became immune to lot of trouble. And who wield the Gryffindor sword against that big snake at Hogwarts war?" Neville joked.

"About that day, Neville, have you seen him.. well.. die? F-Fred?" she stared at his eyes.

He thought for a while and sighed.

"No, I didn't see him. I knew it only after they bought him to great hall. They said it happened when a wall exploded, close to room of requirement. I am sorry, Sophie. I didn't mean to remind you or hurt you" he said apologetically.

"That's alright, Neville. You did nothing wrong. It is not something we can avoid talking about. I just thought you might know what happened." Sophie fidgeted her fingers on her lap.

"You know the best thing about Fred, he knew how to make anyone happy. Just remembering about him, made anyone smile." Neville said looking at the Slytherin players in the air.

"Yes, he did" Sophie smiled and looked up at the players too.

Saturday came faster than Sophie wanted. It is funny how time can accelerate itself when you want to slow it down. Sophie woke up early in the morning and sat on her bed. 'How can she avoid him? He will definitely stay there if she doesn't show up. But seeing him is the last thing she ever wanted to happen right now' She put on her glasses and took a book lying on the table beside bed. She needed to relax, so she had to read.

After 2 o'clock, Sophie wore her favorite yellow beanie and cloak and took her route to Hogsmead. Though it would be Summer soon, there was a chillness in the air, blowing a cold breeze sometimes. She wrapped her arms around her as she walked to the edge of the village.

She almost reached the pub when she caught the sight of George standing outside the pub. She took a long breath and walked to him.

"George!"

"Sophie, you came"

"I did. Didn't I?" Sophie looked around.

"Let's go to some other place. It is too crowded here"

Sophie nodded and followed him. They didn't talk till they came to a stop at a handsome café with large red windows.

"A new place?" Sophie asked

"It is here for few years now, but most of the people still go to Threebroomsticks, you know, it is where people are still used to" George explained as he opened the door to let Sophie enter.

"Yes, even I still go there, so didn't know these places exist" she said.

They sat near a large window at the corner, and George ordered coffee and some brownies. Sophie took out the beanie and kept it aside.

"Is that the hat...?" George asked

"Your mum gave me? Yes, the very same. Didn't thought you'd remember"

"Didn't know you'd still wear it" George said smiling.

"Well, I can't let go of old things that easy" Sophie smiled. George stared at her.

"George, what is it you wanted to tell me?" She asked as a café attendant laid two steaming coffee cups and brownies before them.

"I wanted to see you"

Sophie looked surprised at George but instead of saying something she diverted her stare to the coffee cup. They were silent for couple of minutes.

"Sophie, I know what you are thinking. After all you said that day, I tried my best to listened to you and do as you said. But I failed. It is driving me crazy that the more I tried the more I missed you. All I wanted was to see you." George said looking at his hands on the table.

Sophie looked at the top of his bending head. 'I too failed, George. Instead of all I said that day, I too wished hundred times to see you' she thought. But she did not say a word.

"Is it Fred?" he raised his head and looked directly at her eyes.

Sophie gulped. "It is not Fred, nor you. I-it is just me." Sophie said softly.