Flickers

Feeling the Nigerian aura kiss my skin, was quite refreshing. I haven't been in my dear country for 10 years now. Leaning on the body of my white Range Rover sport 2018 edition, I adjusted my dark shades, by placing it on top of my curly natural hair. P.S Valerie Okofu's style. #Team_natural. I breathed deeply to savor the sensation of being home after all these years.

Standing in front of Late chief Badmus Okofu's mansion, with my luggage sitting on the floor beside my black dezenii designer leather boots. I hesitated a bit, before summoning enough courage to pick up my few luggages and step into the house that was filled with my childhood memories. The renovation of this Victorian-style mansion was my sole purpose of coming back to Nigeria. Hence, I had to get to work immediately.

After placing my bags on one of the sofas in the living room. I walked to the kitchen, wiped off the dust on a little part of the kitchen counter, then propped one of my elbows on it and used my other hand to search for my phone in my jeans pocket, once I found it, I dialed my childhood friend's digits.

Pamela's line rang twice before she picked. This was typical of Pamela though, she always had that habit of letting her phone ring twice before picking up.

"Howdy baby girl! Tell me it's what I am thinking that you are about to say!" I heard her say at the other end of the call.

I gave her a throaty laugh. She hadn't changed a bit, she was still that very ecstatic personality I always admired. "And what exactly is Mrs. Pamela Brown thinking?" I asked.

"Well, that my friend who I have enjoyed 20years of friendship with, is currently in town!"

"Haha, oh wow! And she has clairvoyant abilities now. Or probably a bird whispered to her about my coming home" I said with a very dramatic tone.

"Hahaha, go away jor. You haven't changed at all."

"Hem hem" I cleared my throat playfully and said. "Yours truly, Valerie Okofu." Then tipped an imaginary hat. Don't mind me, I could be that dramatic sometimes.

"Babe, that's incredible news! When did you arrive?"

"Just two days back. My plane from Los Angeles, CA arrived Lagos, 10 pm on Thursday. I had to lodge in a hotel for the night, then the next day which is today, I cleared my Jeep that I shipped in from the US a month ago, from the Nigerian customs service, then went back to the hotel and checked out."

"Look at this chic o, so you have been in town for two days now, and you are just informing me? You would have called me the very minute you placed your feet on the Nigerian soil so that I can take you out to flex naw!" Pamela said. I could imagine her pouting right now.

"Ah! So that Chuks would finally fulfill his life goal of proving that I am a bad influence to his amazing wife abi?" I chuckled mischievously.

"Haha. Will you blame that one? He married a fine wife." Chuks was undoubtedly head over heels in love with his wife though. He had always had a crush on her since our Primary School days. It still pains me, that I wasn't in the country to attend their wedding.

"Abeg leave Chuks Jor. The main reason I called, was to find out if you have found an ideal contractor to handle the renovation of the mansion."

"Oh yeah, yeah... There is this contractor I contacted. Like dude is terrific! I have seen some of the projects he has done so far, and mehn there were top-notch. Can you imagine he did some fixer-upper for the famous Dallas, TX continental hotel at Ikeja?"

"Wow! You don't mean it. The guy is that good?"

"Oh yes he is. I took his business card. Uhh... let me search for it." I could hear some movements at the background, she must have been rummaging her bag for the card. "Ah-hah! Got it!" Then she started giggling like she always did whenever she had an agenda.