eighteen

☆

Words of Steve and Darcy spread around the compound because of Natasha. She made sure the rumors were harmless and only directed toward Steve since she had no desire for Darcy to get more unwanted attention. Natasha simply wanted to tease Steve enough just until he realized he may have harbored feelings for Darcy.

Because of the antidepressants, Darcy had an increase in appetite but had odd dizzy attacks, and sleep was still an issue to her. Often times, she would find herself leaning against Steve's side for support, and he would gladly let her, even wrapping an arm around her in order to support her further.

She always felt comfortable around him. He had enhanced smell, and for the first few days where Darcy was a shut-in and did not get up to even shower, she knew she smelled bad and cringed at the thought of him being around her so much that he got used to the stank.

"How was your day?" she mumbled, cheek pressed against his shoulder as they laid against the headboard of her bed with a movie playing in the back.

She was beginning to talk more, and Steve noticed. He enjoyed hearing her initiate conversations with him. He wasn't possessive, but it was nice knowing she only wanted to talk to him.

"Good," he responded. He knew the conversation wouldn't last if he didn't add more. "Bucky and I sparred, then Sam and I trained some new recruits. The carnation is still healthy," he whispered.

She smiled. "That's nice. I'm glad."

"Maybe we could go back to the garden tomorrow," he suggested.

She frowned for a moment. "The farm I was raised on had a patch of flowers. Can we... Can we visit the farm?"

She didn't look at him. Instead, she chose to focus on the Barbie movie in front of her.

"The one you were raised on?"

"Yeah," she whispered.

He stared at her, watching the lights from the movie hit her skin and move around in the dark. "Okay, but we'll have to know where it is first. I'm sure we can find out through some hacking. That okay?"

She nodded. "Okay."

They watched the rest of the Barbie movie in silence. It was Barbie as the Princess and the Pauper, and Darcy decided she would ask Steve to have a Barbie marathon with her one night when he wasn't busy saving the world.