nineteen

☆

When Steve approached Natasha the next day in hopes of finding the farm Darcy was raised on before the Red Room, Natasha was hesitant to help. The farm was Darcy's home, but it could potentially bring back old memories that could worsen her condition.

Steve retaliated by telling Natasha that Darcy wasn't a paraplegic and that she needed to see the world in order to live again. Natasha realized Steve had changed. The old him would have kept her inside, trying to fix her like a broken light bulb or piece her back together like a puzzle. Now, he was fiery and demanding she leave the safeties of the compound without any protection except for him.

Natasha wasn't completely on board, but because she saw how much it meant to the both of them, she complied with their wishes. It was quite difficult since Darcy couldn't remember where it was and that there were thousands of farms around the world. Natasha relied on Wanda since the woman had been inside Darcy's mind. She did her best to describe the farm to Natasha and the two worked together, swiping through pictures of farms. It took days because their brains could only handle so much farm-searching in a day.

Until finally, five days into their search, they found the farm, or at least, they were sure they did. The two women walked together in search for Steve and Darcy, who Wanda said were at the gardens. They entered the gardens and found Steve and Darcy laying on a blanket in the middle of the rows of flowers. Steve was twirling a peony in his fingers while Darcy had fallen asleep on his stomach.

Natasha smiled. Peonies were commonly associated with romance, prosperity, and bashfulness. Wanda hummed as she tapped into Natasha's thoughts.

"Should we tell them later?" asked Wanda.

Natasha nodded. "Yeah, whenever they get out of the garden."

The two left, leaving Steve and Darcy alone in the garden. It had become their spot where the two were allowed to relax and bathe in the sun and bask in each other's affections for the day. They rebuilt lost energy together and their time together no longer felt forbidden. Their time together felt like a miracle because they were allowed to be themselves without judgment or fear.