twenty

☆

Once they returned from the gardens, Natasha told them they might have found the farm. Darcy smiled and thanked her. It was the first time they had spoken since she had the mentality of an 8-year-old. She was trying to grow accustomed to the people around her. It was taking a while for her, and she had expressed her annoyance with herself, but Steve would tell her it was all right.

They made plans to go to the farm tomorrow. There wasn't much they needed. It would be a warm day tomorrow, so he told her to dress light. They spent the night together, watching Back to the Future. Darcy thought it would appropriate, considering how Steve was suddenly thrust into the future. He rolled her eyes at her reasoning but did enjoy the movie, except when he cringed at the thought of Marty possibly having sex with his own mother.

Darcy had fallen asleep before Steve. He realized it was easier for her to sleep if she was around him. The thought of that made him swell with pride because she relied on him to keep her safe, and he would. He was certain she wasn't a rebound for Peggy anymore because Darcy made him feel different in a good way. They experienced new things together and learned more about each other.

He learned she didn't like peanut butter with chocolate, she brushed her teeth with an electric toothbrush instead of a normal one, and she liked the color blue instead of red, which she told him had been her favorite color when she was the other Darcy. Steve was glad his uniform was blue.

He was building her a new personality - a better one she never got the chance to have. She was a quiet person, but always had something meaningful to say. She sometimes never thought before she spoke, but if she realized she made a mistake, she would stay silent and not speak again. She learned that when she asked about love and Steve looked ready to cry.

He wrapped the blankets around him and Darcy tightly as if it would protect them from any dangers in the night. Soon enough, Steve fell asleep as well to the background noise of Back to the Future playing in the room.

Steve learned Darcy was easy to wake up. She immediately woke up the first time he poked her cheek that morning. She smiled softly at him, rubbing her eyes free of the crust that formed. His heart had throbbed when he saw her sleepy smile and at the realization that he was the only one who saw such a smile.

"Come on, it'll take two hours to get there so we should leave now," he advised.

She frowned. "It's only eight."

"And we'll get there around ten. Early bird gets the worm."

She pursed her lips. "Can we get a donut on the way?"

He smiled. "Sure thing, sugar."

He had never called her that before, but she decided that she liked it.