fifteen

☆

He came again the next day like a beautiful butterfly taking its time to fly through a bright and full garden in the midst of the warm summer breeze.

She sat there on the floor, back against the bed, like a dead corpse that had been rotting in a dark cave for weeks.

Their personalities clashed, but not violently. Their values and goals were different but different in a way that Steve liked because he liked a good challenge. He had always liked board games, and he wasn't labeling Darcy as a game, but if he had to pick, she would be a hard puzzle with thousands of pieces and the hardest images to combine in order to create a picture.

So when she asked him a certain delicate question that nearly had him bawling because it reminded him of Peggy and caused him to reminisce about their time together back in the 1940s, he was unsure of what to say.

Darcy was not an assassin anymore. She was too broken for that. Bucky was broken, but he fought in order to give others a chance to live - a chance he hadn't given his past victims. Natasha was broken from the Red Room, but she found solace in the people she'd met at her time in S.H.I.E.L.D. Tony was broken after Loki's attack on New York, but he ignored it in order to create new inventions that could help people and spend more time with Pepper because it was what she deserved as the woman who loved him.

"What's it like to love someone?" she had asked.

Steve had been frozen for moments, eyes wide as tears threatened to fall over at the thought of Peggy while he attempted to speak a coherent and careful response to her question.

"Amazing," he whispered.

She nodded and let it go. Wanda was a powerful woman - powerful enough to reverse the Red Room's control over her, but not powerful enough to cause Darcy to forget how to hold a gun. Darcy was still talented at reading people, and when she asked what she thought was an innocent question, she learned she was wrong based on Steve's facial expression that she could see even in the dark of her room.

"Sounds nice," she whispered.

He nodded, choosing not to use his words in fear of choked sobs coming out instead.

"Will you teach me how to love someone?"

He let out a sob. "I don't know how anymore."

She pursed her lips. "That's all right. We'll learn."