fourteen

☆

Darcy refused to leave her room. She didn't answer to anyone except F.R.I.D.A.Y., who was barely a human being even with her attitude. The only person she let into her room was Steve, but she didn't speak to him either.

Slipping in some technological enhancements along with biological ones, the Black Widow Program did a good job of creating Black Widows. Having been broken down and built up to become the ultimate weapon, Darcy wasn't sure how to function without being controlled. At that point, she would have rather have someone put a chip in her neck and control her however they thought fit.

Often times, Steve would walk in - the door unlocked for him only - with two trays of food and sit next to her while talking about his life, pausing in between stories in order to chew and swallow. She ate in tiny bits, not wanting to seem eager because she still had the thought of suicide on her mind. It wasn't a fleeting thought. It stayed in the back of her mind, creeping in whenever she was left alone or Steve stopped talking.

"Peggy was the love of my life. At least, that's what I thought. People change, and I never got to have that dance with her like promised. Years passed so it made sense she found a husband and got married. It didn't hurt any less, because to me when I got out of the ice, it was just yesterday that I saw her. But I can't turn back time, so I admitted once, a month ago, to Tony that maybe it was time to find my place here and enjoy myself."

For the first time in four days, Darcy spoke to someone other than F.R.I.D.A.Y. "Did you find your place?"

He glanced at her before looking back down at the half-eaten sandwich in his tray. "It's a work in progress, but I'm getting there."

"What was she like?"

"Peggy?"

Darcy nodded.

He softly smiled. "She's - " He paused, momentarily forgetting she had passed a few days ago. "She was a firecracker. She was bold and knew what she wanted. She liked to be in charge and didn't listen to people's crap. She was sarcastic too, able to keep up with Howard."

"Who's Howard?"

"Howard Stark, Tony's dad. He was...charismatic. Always had girls around him - when he was younger, at least. He was incredibly smart, just like Tony is," explained Steve.

Darcy nodded. "They both sound like lovely people."

"They were. Maybe it's time you started finding your place."

She stared at her toes, wiggling them. "There's nothing for me in this world."