eleven

☆

When Darcy had fallen asleep that night, she was expecting to dream of unicorns, rainbows, and Steve-anator. She wasn't expecting to dream of screams, blood, and people she didn't know.

It was no surprise when she woke up in the middle of the night, blankets tangled around her body, pillows scattered about with the only light coming from the nightlight she claimed to Steve she needed in order to sleep. In her haste to seek comfort, she tripped over her blanket and fell onto the ground, alerting F.R.I.D.A.Y.

"Do you require assistance, Darcy?"

"No, I'm okay!"

She scrambled up, dragging her blanket along with her and wrapping it around her body as she left the room in search of Steve's room. She opened the door without knocking and squinted in order to see.

"F.R.I.D.A.Y., turn on low lights please," she whispered.

The A.I. did as told. Darcy closed the door and shuffled over to Steve. She poked him repeatedly until he mumbled and opened one eye.

"Darcy, what are you doing?"

"Can I sleep with you?" she asked.

"What?"

He struggled to open his eyes fully, but he was sure she was pouting at him, wrapped up in blankets like a burrito.

"Can I sleep with you?" she whispered. "I had a nightmare."

"Yeah, come in."

He held open his own blanket and she slid inside, snuggling up to Steve. He was sure he wasn't doing anything wrong. She was scared, and they weren't doing anything inappropriate. But when her hands scrunched up his shirt from behind and he felt her forehead against his back, he wasn't so sure anymore.

He wasn't feeling sexually attracted to her, but he didn't know what to do. She was still a grown woman and he had never had a grown woman in his bed with him before. He was a virgin who had never made out with a woman before. His life out of the ice was being a hero and holding everyone's lives on his shoulders, a weight that was too heavy even if he lifted weights and punched punching bags each day. With Darcy, all he had to do was take care of her and make sure she didn't hurt herself by falling off scooters or running into walls.

He relaxed into the bed, loosening his tense shoulders and closed his eyes, attempting to breathe as evenly as possible. Soon enough, he fell asleep, the last thought on his mind was the woman asleep behind him.

Steve kept a schedule that he didn't like to be disturbed. It was the closest thing he had to a normal life whenever he was at the compound. On missions, everything was unpredictable. He was quick to realize he liked being the boss, not the solider. He was able to bark orders to fit what was needed for that mission, instead of listening to someone else give the wrong order.

F.R.I.D.A.Y. woke him up at eight in the morning each weekday. When he woke up that morning, he looked over at Darcy who was sprawled out, mouth open and snoring.

Down the hall, Natasha had barged into Darcy's room to wake her up for breakfast, but when she didn't find her, she began to worry. Darcy was the closest thing to a daughter. She knew it was wrong, but she wasn't able to have her own children, and to have Darcy who had been through the same procedures as her, be her daughter was a miracle to Natasha.

"F.R.I.D.A.Y., where's Darcy?" Natasha asked.

"Captain Rogers's room."

Natasha relaxed slightly, knowing she was safe, but she didn't understand why she would be with Steve that early in the day. If allowed, she would be asleep until noon. Natasha walked down the hall, barging into his room to see Steve slipping out of bed while Darcy laid asleep on the bed. Steve froze, sheepishly looking at Natasha.

"Why is Darcy in here?"

"She - uh - had a nightmare," he answered.

She crossed her arms over her chest and narrowed her eyes at him. "Right. Do you like her?"

"What?"

"Breakfast is ready. Wake her up," Natasha demanded, steering clear of the subject.