eight

☆

When Darcy woke up and her eyes adjusted to the white ceiling, she knew she wasn't home. She attempted to bring her arms up but found that she was restrained. She looked over her chest and saw that her ankles were restrained as well, but she was still wearing her catsuit.

"Sleeping beauty is awake!" Tony exclaimed. "Oh - wow. Look at how she's glaring at me. I think she's in love."

"Shut up, Tony," Steve retorted.

Darcy breathed through her nose, glaring at the figures by the door. She noticed Natasha and Bucky by the door as well.

"Ty dolzhen byl ubit' menya, kogda u tebya byl shans," said Darcy.

"What did she say?" Steve asked.

Darcy snorted. "You should have killed me when you had the chance."

"Why is that? I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but you look a little tied up," Tony retorted.

"Oh - you'd look pretty bathed in your own blood," she whispered, eyes roaming over his body.

"What do you know about the other Red Rooms around the world?" Natasha asked.

Darcy's eyes snapped over to her. "If I did know, I still wouldn't tell you. You're a traitor, nakip'." Scum.

Natasha leaned over to Bucky, whispering as lowly as she could. "Brainwashed."

"I can hear you," Darcy snapped.

"They put the serum in you," Natasha stated.

"The serum? Our serum?" Steve asked.

"Yes," Natasha answered.

"What does it matter what they put in me? I feel great. Do you want to find out how great I feel? Take the restraints off," Darcy demanded.

"No," Steve responded.

"Then, you might as well kill me now," she dryly said. "I've been captured by the enemy. Even if I escaped here with your blood on my hands, I would not be welcomed back."

"Wanda," Bucky muttered, sending a look to Natasha who nodded and left the room.

Darcy looked over to Bucky. "Dolzhno byt', priyatno snova vstretit'sya so svoim lyubovnikom. YA pomnyu vse istorii o luchshey Chernoy Vdove i pervom vlyublennom Zimnem Soldate." It must be nice to meet your lover again. I remember all the stories of the best Black Widow and the first Winter Soldier falling in love.

Bucky didn't respond. Instead, he opened the door and held it open for Wanda, who he heard walking toward the room. She walked in and gazed at Darcy.

"Her?" Wanda asked.

"Do you see anyone else restrained?" Tony asked. "She told me she wanted to see me bathe in my own blood. Have fun with that one." He left.

"I know you don't like doing it, but you're all we have," said Steve.

"It's all right," she replied. "I knew what I signed up for when I joined the Avengers. May I have privacy?"

Steve nudged his head toward the door and Bucky walked out before Steve followed. Wanda walked over to Darcy, pressing her fingers against her temple. Red wisps flowed out as Wanda looked into her memories in order to get rid of the synapses that the Red Room artificially implanted into her.

Wanda could see Darcy training and murdering. She winced whenever Darcy attempted to push her out, but Wanda was stronger. She went deeper into her memories, finding a locked box of her childhood memories.

Darcy was running around on a farm, chasing chickens and roosters. She would milk the cows and bring the milk inside to pour into a glass jar. She would scold her dog for trying to sneak up on her. It was a beagle she could lift up and hold like a fat baby. She would play tea time with the dog, and he would patiently sit there and listen to her babble on about princesses and knights.

Her mother walked out of the house with a large, protruding belly with an arm wrapped around it. Her bright red hair bounced away as she shuffled toward Darcy.

"Sweetheart, it's time for lunch. Stop bothering Steve."

Darcy pouted, shuffling over to Steve and picking him up. "Steve-anator is my baby too, Mama. Just like how you have one too."

Her mother laughed. "Come on. Your father's setting up the table right now."

"Does Steve have a spot this time?"

"Darcy, Steve is a messy eater. He eats on the floor with his bowl," her mother answered.

"I don't see how that's fair," she muttered.

Wanda was wincing as Darcy pushed her out harsher than before. Darcy was gritting her teeth, thrashing wildly as Wanda attempted to reign her in, but the assassin was having none of it.

"Get out!" she shouted. "OUT! OUT!"

Wanda groaned, her own powers exploding and blasting her back into the wall. The feeling of old, suppressed memories coming back was too much for her. Steve and Natasha rushed back into the room, eyeing the damage that was done. Darcy was groaning, head rolling side to side, while Wanda was staggering to get back up to her feet, and the windows were shattered.

"What happened, Wanda?" Steve asked.

"I don't know. I'm sorry. The Red Room - She's very loyal," Wanda explained. "They really did a number on her."

Natasha walked over to Darcy, narrowing her eyes at her. "You think she's okay?"

Steve walked over. "I don't know, Nat."

Darcy's eyes blinked open, shifting over to Natasha. "Hi, Mama," she mumbled. "Did I take a nap? Can I have a snack now?"

Natasha glanced at Steve. "Steve, I don't think this is normal. She's smiling."

Darcy looked up at Steve. "Oh - you have the same name as Steve-anator. He's such a good boy. Are you a good boy?"

Steve turned around to look at Wanda who shrugged and sheepishly smiled.

"How old are you, sweetheart?" Natasha asked.

"Uh... Eight?"

"Oh - no," muttered Steve.

"I know, right? I'm a big girl now," Darcy bragged.