twelve

☆

"Steve, can we go out?" Darcy pleaded, clinging onto his arm as he attempted to eat cereal without spilling it.

Sam watched from the other side of table, making a face as he bit into a banana. Darcy had a pout on her face, eyes twinkling as she attempted to rope Steve into saying yes.

"No."

"Why not? I haven't been out in weeks!" she exclaimed.

"You've been out in the garden," Steve defended.

"That's different," she retorted. "I want to go out with you and get ice cream or play with dogs! I want a beagle!"

"Absolutely not."

"Then, take me to a park to play with dogs," she muttered.

Steve sighed. "It's not safe."

"Why not?"

"Because..."

She narrowed her eyes at him. "Because?"

"Yeah, Steve, because?" Sam asked. "Tell the girl who looks ready to cry."

"People might see us."

Her bottom lip trembled and her eyes watered. "B-But..."

"Darcy, please, don't cry," Steve pleaded.

"I just wanna go out," she mumbled, tears brimming as she hopped up onto his lap and clung onto him.

Steve sighed, pushing away his cereal as he wrapped his arms around her body, while she rubbed her cheek onto his chest. He looked up at Sam who shrugged.

'I don't know what to do!' Steve mouthed.

'What, you think I do?' Sam retorted. 'That's a grown ass woman on your lap.'

"I'm sleepy," she mumbled, closing her eyes to take a nap.

Steve peered down. "I think she fell asleep."

"Should have gotten her a beagle," Sam informed.

"We don't have time to take care of a dog."

"Well, it's not like you've been on missions since she fell into your lap - literally. Any idea how to revert her back?" Sam asked.