CHAPTER 17: Arya

Ferris returned home a couple hours ago and both Gunner and I just got done telling him everything in what's going on and now he also knows that his best friend is an agent for the FBI.

We didn't tell Ferris the moment he walked into the apartment. In fact, we waited until after he told us he got the job to begin telling him everything.

There are so many things running through my head right now and with Ferris sitting across from us at the table in their apartment, not saying anything as he seemed to still be processing everything all at once, Gunner and I were anxiously waiting for him to tell us what he thought about it all. Then finally he started to say something. 

"So let me see if I got this. You're telling me that my best friend is an FBI agent and my neighbor/friend, is the daughter of Teddy Dafoe who was the most feared Mafia boss?" He asks. 

"Yes." Both Gunner and I replied. 

"Wow. That's unbelievable." He says. 

"We know it sounds crazy and...." I started to tell him but he stopped me. 

"Hey, I think it's honestly badass that you guys are like that." He tells us with a big smile and excitement in his voice. 

Well this was going better than I had expected and I'm sure than what Gunner had expected.

"Really?" Gunner asks him surprised.

"Hell yeah man! It's just like a movie or something. Although, wait, does this mean that I can't tell people who you both really are?" He asks. 

"Correct. For everybody's safety." Gunner explains. 

"Alright." He nods his head in agreement. "So then, what now?" He asks us. 

"We actually are waiting for my Director to call me back and we'll need to talk to him then he'll figure out what to do from there." Gunner tells him. 

"Cool." Ferris says. 

A few moments later, Gunner's phone goes off and it's his Director who tells him that he needs Gunner and I both to come down to the office in the next hour and go over what we'll be doing. 

***************

After we arrived at the office and were seated, I have to say that it looks like any other regular business-type office for the most part. 

His Director reminded me a little bit like the guy who played the boss from the Lethal Weapon movies. His office was painted grey, and it had only one floor-to-ceiling window, which faced the main road. On the grey desk sat a desktop computer, a notebook lying open, and a stack of papers sitting under his FBI coffee mug that he seemed to be using as a paperweight. The air conditioner was blasting at medium, and there was a swivel chair behind his desk that was located in the middle of the room. A bookshelf, bursting with books was in a corner, with yet another stack of papers under a paperweight. A few pens were lying on the papers, but some had fallen onto the top of the bookshelf.

"So, it's a pleasure to meet you." His Director, Healey said to me while holding out his hand and sitting down across from us. 

"Thanks." I replied not knowing in what to say. 

"Well, since you already have an idea in what all is happening right now, why don't I just cut right to the chase." He began and grabbed a few file folders from the stack on his desk to his left then tossed them in front of me. "In those folders are photos and information about not just your ex-boyfriend but also your father and the few other people we are trying to go after." He mentions. 

I was nervous a little bit and hesitated to even dare look at them as I was afraid of what I might find out about not just my ex and possibly people I had grown to call my family but also, the horrible things my father had done. 

"It's okay baby. Take your time." I felt Gunner grab hold of my hand and try to assure me. 

We next heard Healey clear his throat and when we looked at him, we immediately removed our hands from each other's after noticing him looking at them.

"I thought you told him?!" I ask Gunner and before he could say anything, I heard Healey answer instead. 

"He did but, it's not something we necessarily want others to know about here." He reminds us. 

I almost forgot about that part. We were after all in a building full of FBI agents. So I right away go back to what he just handed me and begin opening up the file folders and started taking a look at the pictures and skimming over all the reports. 

The first few files I opened were on guys I only remember meeting a few times. Then there were only two folders left and one of them were of my father and then of course, Joshua's. I decided to save my father's folder for last as I began looking through Joshua's and I have to say that I never would have thought he was capable in doing all that they had evidence on him for. 

"Oh my god." I say under my breath. 

"What is it?" Gunner asks. 

"I just, I can't believe he has done all of this. I can't believe I ever thought he was capable of being a nice guy. I mean, I learned later on otherwise but, to see photos and read about these horrific things, I just....I can't seem to fathom any of it." I tell them. 

"Listen, I understand this is hard for you. In fact, because your father is no longer alive, you don't even have to read his. But I do need to have you tell me everything you know about these other men, including Joshua, that maybe we have overlooked." Healey says. 

"To be honest, I have only met the three men a few times in my life that I can remember. For the most part, my father tried protecting me and keeping me away from all that type of stuff. However, I do remember Joshua talking to them a few times because he would mention their names and I would sometimes overhear him discuss things that sounded like they had to do with business." I started to explain and the more I started to talk, the more it seemed that I started remembering things as well.

Next chapter will be posted soon! :)