Chapter 20: Eli

A/N: 30.04.20

This is the last chapter of Part I: The Secrets We Hide.

I think the title if Part I really fitted the first portion of the book.

The book started off funny but then it ended up serious and angsty. I was writing this book for a good laugh but ended up questioning my life decisions by the end of it. Smh...

Anyway, I hope you enjoy xx

⤵️⤵️⤵️

*Eli's pov*

I saw Thomas walk down the school hall looking like he hadn't gotten a wink of sleep. His olive skin was now pale and his green eyes looked worn out. I felt a pang of guilt rise up my chest. Last night was weird. One second we were running for our lives, then we were kissing, and then we were arguing.

I was about to go up to him to try and talk things out.

"Eli." I yelped when I heard my name, quickly spinning around. Steven stood behind me with a wide grin.

"H-Hey," I stuttered. I quickly dodged his gaze, feeling even guiltier. I kissed another boy while dating Steven. I knew that Steven cheated on me, but this was my first time.

And worst of all, I enjoyed Thomas's kiss much more than any of Steven's. Yesterday's kiss was magical and I'd trade a million of kisses to have one of Thomas's.

"I'm sorry about yesterday," he said, giving my arm a gentle squeeze. I shrugged, putting my books into my locker.

"It happens."

I could feel his gaze burning against my face.

"How about we do something tomorrow?" he suggested.

"But tomorrow's Saturday," I frowned. It was Thomas's first day of work and I wanted to make sure everything went smoothly. I found myself worrying and thinking about Thomas more than I should.

"Yeah, so you're free," Steven said, keeping up with me as I walked away. "We can watch a movie at your place."

"I don't want to watch a movie anymore."

"But-"

"But what? I said I don't want to," I deadpanned. Steven frowned and then pulled me into a classroom, making sure no one was inside before closing the door. He cupped my face in his hands so that I'd look at him, but I stared at his nose instead.

His touch felt warm and familiar, but it felt so much different than when Thomas touched my face. There were no sparks, no tingling sensation, it just felt like flesh against flesh.

Why was I comparing everything with that filthy rat?

"Baby," he frowned.

"I thought I was 'just Eli.'"

"No, you're my baby Eli."

I frowned, finally meeting his gaze. Steven smiled, kissing my forehead.

"I'll make it up to you, promise," he said. "We can do whatever you'd like tomorrow, okay? I'll even spend the night if you'd like. We can go online shopping. I'll bring my credit card."

I used to love it when Steven bought me things. I'd buy whatever, any brand I'd wanted: Prada, Gucci, Louis V, all of them.

But now, I didn't want clothes or bags. Well, I still did, but it wasn't enough.