Chapter 28: Eli

A/N: 13.07.20

Our boys have grown so much 🥺

Who's your favorite character so far? And why?

⤵️⤵️⤵️

After I tried out my clothes, I handed Thomas the suit I picked out for him and told him to change into the clothes that I picked out for him. He was reluctant, saying that he was too tired, but I told him to make an effort and try, telling him that it’d make me happy seeing him in proper clothes. 

He sighed and started to undress. Thomas pulled the black slacks up his waist, jumping a few times to pull them all the way up before zipping them. He took his shirt off and I noticed his scars again.

“Where did you get those?” I couldn’t help but ask. 

"Oh, these?" He asked nonchalantly. But I could tell that he quickly slipped his arms into the ironed shirt and buttoned them up. "I got them a long time ago."

"I thought we were done with secrets," I mumbled, standing up and motioning him to lower his head so that I could do his tie. He did as I asked and I tucked the fabric under his collar, gently working on the knot. 

"My dad used to beat me. You know, when he was still around."

My fingers stopped, eyes flickering towards his. Thomas offered me a gentle smile, but I didn't smile back. Who in the right mind would smile at a time like this? 

Oh right, filthy rat.

Thomas shrugged. "He was drunk. Bad habits lead to bad behavior."

My stomach turned unto knots.

"How badly did he hurt you?"

"He pushed me down the stairs when I was a kid and I broke my arm," Thomas said. "A few other incidents involved ribs too. But really, it wasn't the worst that could happen."

He raised his shirt, running his finger over the pink scar near his hip. "This one was when he smashed a vodka bottle against me. I think. It was a long time ago, I only remember going to the hospital for stitches. I have another one-"

"No, stop," I blurted, feeling sick. How could a father do that to his own son? And why was Thomas acting so casual about it?! He could be talking about the weather!

"You were the one who asked," he said.

“Did you ever call the cops?”

"No."

"Why?!"

Thomas averted his gaze, obviously uncomfortable with my question. He ran a quick hand through his dark hair, focusing on the wall behind me to avoid my gaze. “Dunno.”

“Thomas…"

“Abusive or not, he was my dad.” There was a short pause, and then he finally looked at me. Really looked at me. And for a second, I saw a glimpse of his pain, the one that he always tried so hard to hide. The mask he wore to protect himself fell for that mere second and I wish I could rip it off but his expression suddenly became solemn. "He's still my dad."

I didn't know whether I wanted to punch him or hug him. Maybe both, but I chose the latter, stepping forward and wrapping my arms around him. I pressed my face against his chest, the smell of clothes entering my nostrils. The smell of Thomas made me never want to let him go. 

"You're so stupid," I whispered, tightening my hands around him. I felt Thomas rest his chin on my head as he ran his fingers through my hair. 

"I don't want to hear that from you," he said, teasingly. 

"I'm not stupid," I snapped. He leaned away to smile at me.

"Stupid," he said, pressing his finger against my nose.

He was trying to distract me but I wouldn't let him.

"You should have done something," I frowned.

"About you being stupid? I thought it was obvious-"

"About your dad. You should have said something about your dad," I deadpanned, pushing him away. He pulled me back in, wrapping his arms around me and resting his chin back on my head. I tried to squirm away (tried is an overstatement. I hardly even bothered pulling away. I only did it to pretend like I didn't like his hug. I'd stay in the warmth of his embrace forever if I could).

"I know."

"Then why didn't you?"

There was a short pause.

"Because I was scared he'd leave us. But I know better now. You can't force someone to love you and you can't make them stay. You want to know a secret? My friends have always told me to date someone. I told them I didn't have time, that I was busy doing other things and in spite of that being partially true, it was also partially a lie."

"I guess what I'm saying is that I was scared to like someone because it would make me vulnerable again. I like keeping a small circle because having few people means that there is a smaller chance that I'd get hurt. Do you think that's selfish of me?"

"Of course not."

"And you scare me Eli, with your snobby attitude, your spoiled acts, the way you pretend to be better than everyone else when you're just as insecure as them," he murmured. "I think you're smart and talented. Even though your parents put a lot of pressure on you, you listen to them and endure it because you want to make them proud. And even though Steven wasn't the best boyfriend, you still cared about him. You're not as shallow as you think you are. I mean, you're hanging out with me right now, aren't you? A poor filthy rat who barely manages to hold on."

He pulled away and took my face in his hands.

"I really don't want to like you but it's already too late," he chuckled softly. "I like you so much Eli, I don't know what to do."

⤵️⤵️⤵️

A/N: Please don't forget to leave a vote before swiping to the next chapter
💖💖💖