Chapter 12: Eli

A/N: 28.04.29

What do you guys want to be when you grow up? Or what are you doing right now if you're already a full grown up?

I'd love to know!

⤵️⤵️⤵️

*Eli's pov*

The neighborhood was scary. I've never been to the southside of the city and I was glad that I haven't. The houses were ugly and musty, the gardens weren't mowed, there were drunken people in broad daylight and scary looking bars.

It looked like a place for criminals.

I inched closer towards Thomas, just in case someone tried to attack me. That way, I could push Thomas and make a run for if I needed to.

I glanced towards Thomas who looked completely calm. He even greeted a couple of people with that charming smile and lazy wave of his.

"You scared?" Thomas asked when we turned around the next block.

"No," I answered a bit too quickly. I was basically glued to him, my arms brushing against the muscles of his arms.

"You want me to hold your hand?" He grinned. I reddened, made a look of disgust, before looking away.

"No," I snapped. I couldn't tell if he was joking or not, I never could. "Get your filthy hands away from me."

He started laughing, his head tilting slightly back and his nice, round shoulders shook. Thomas had a nice laugh, it wasn't too loud or imposing.

What was I thinking?

We finally arrived at his house. I scowled almost immediately. I thought it was an abandoned cabin at first, but nope, Thomas hopped onto the stairs and stopped at the front porch, looking over his shoulder.

"You coming or not?"

"People actually live here?" Was my first reaction. I tried to hide my disdain, but I was too baffled.

"Welcome to the real world," he smirked. To my surprise, he didn't seem offended or ashamed.

Now that I think about it, Thomas never seemed ashamed about being poor. He only got mad when I insulted him about it, but he didn't seem the least bit insecure. He walked around almost as if he were proud to wear nasty sneakers and dull clothes.

I secretly admired him for not caring what others thought. I wish I could do the same.

I slowly walked up the stairs, flinching when it squeaked under my weight, and followed him inside. I sucked in a tight breath.

The house was even uglier inside.

The floor was made out of wood and the walls were starting to peel off. There were a couple of stains here and there, and the furniture... The furniture hurt my eyes, it physically hurt me to look at furniture so ugly.

I loved lavishing items and decorations, and for me to look as something as horrid like this, was an eyesore.

"Impressive, isn't it?" The irony in Thomas's voice made me stiffen.

"I... Uh..."

I flinched when he laughed. Thomas gave me a gentle nudge.

"It's fine. It's not the fanciest place, but at least we have a roof," he winked. "Your bike is over there." He nodded towards my bicycle that was leaning against the wall.