dix-neuf

January 1st

Jasper and Tatum's plan to meet up for New Year's had botched. Neither of them could make it. For Jasper, it'd be too risky to have a human around a bunch of vampires. 'Vegetarian' or not. For Tatum, the last tick was Bella getting too suspicious. Avery had accidentally let it slip that 'Ja-per' gave him a piggy-back ride. It was just too risky.

●○●

February 1st

The year had suddenly started moving so fast. The new year of 2009 was moving too fast. She had only talked to Jasper three times since the year began. She was slowly realizing how Bella felt, but not as bad.

She was losing her connection to her everything.

●○●

March 1st

Tatum was sick of it. She was sick of everything. Well, everything other than her nephew and dad. But, she was sick of Jasper and Alec. More Alec than Jasper. The two were keeping a secret from her. It was so secretive that Jasper hadn't been answering her texts or calls about it. She was sick of it.

●○●

March 18th

Tatum sat in the diner, slumped in a booth, that her sister had worked at over a year ago

Tatum sat in the diner, slumped in a booth, that her sister had worked at over a year ago. She stares at the basket of fries in front of her. The tan hand snatching most of them was annoying her. Also, the body connected to the hand. 

"Paul Lahote, stop eating my fucking fries," Tatum says lowly, smacking the top of his hand as it goes for another fry. The tan man retracts his hand, whimpering at the power of the slap. "Now, why did you call me here?"

Paul inhales deeply, leaning back against the seat, "Because we haven't talked in a while and I need to check up on you."

Tatum scoffs, her attitude had changed over the months. Instead of a 'can-do' attitude, it had developed into a 'what-the-fuck-you-gonna-do' attitude. Now, it was on full display, "Lahote, I don't need you to check up on me. I'm doing perfectly fine, in fact, I'm better than I used to be."

"Don't lie to me," Paul scolds, his anger rising. "Jacob and Bella said that you've been acting differently."

"No, I haven't."

"I'm not going to let you bullshit me, Tatum Jay. Your shiny little boyfriend may have, but I won't," Paul snaps, nose twitching. "Come on, let's talk in the truck."

Tatum rolls her eyes and pays the bill quickly, ignoring Paul's glare at the money in her hand. They exit the building and sit in Tatum's truck, the heat on full blast. Paul takes the lead, breaking the heated silence.

"Tatum, I understand that people take heartbreak differentl-"

"I'm not heartbroke-"

"Tatum Fernsby, you will listen until I am done!" Paul snaps, making Tatum flinch. "At one point, we considered each other best friends. I get that Hale leaving hurt you, I get that people take things like that at different paces. I know, for a fact, that you are heartbroken. Shit like that hurts. You said that he was your first everything. First crush. First kiss. First boyfriend. First love. First time. But he won't be your last. You need to see that other people love you just as much as you loved him. Goddammit, Tatum, I love you! And it might not be the way that I expected but I do love you! I want you to tell me things like that. Like your feelings or when you need help. I'm your friend, Tatum, and I won't let you feel loveless because of that bastard! I can't!"

By the end of his words, Paul had started crying. Crying. Tatum had never seen him cry before. She didn't say anything as he sobbed, his hands on his head. She simply took in the words. He was willing to show his feelings and she couldn't even tell him the truth.

"Paul..." Tatum trails off shyly. "I...I haven't been honest."

He looks up at her with teary eyes, Tatum opens her arms for a hug and he obliges. He wraps his arms around her torso and places his head on her shoulder. Tatum hesitates before running her hands through Paul's hair comfortingly. 

"Paul, when the Cullen's left, it wasn't the same as Bella and Edward," Tatum tries to explain the best she can. He looks up at her in confusion. "Jasper and I didn't stop seeing each other."

"But Bella and Edward broke up and he said they could-"

"-Couldn't be together. The family and I talked. Edward did that on his own terms, even after Alice warned him not to. Jasper and I were still connected months after they left."

Paul's breathing because scarily quiet. "So, Bella went through all that suffering while you lied?"

Tatum simply nodded, she had bent herself backward in shame and guilt months ago, she had gone through all of this before. "And I regret not just telling her about it. But, she's moving on. I don't want her to go through that again if Edward ever returns."

"What about you and Hale?"

"We stopped talking a month or s-" Tatum's talking is interrupted by her phone ringing. She grabs it and looks at the caller ID. She looks down at it in confusion. "It's Bella?"

"Well, answer it," Paul says, sitting up. 

"Bella?" Tatum asks, answering the phone.

"No, it's Jake. Bella jumped off a cliff."