xviii. bb

the next morning, i was awakened by the door bell. i rolled over to face away from the sunlight that beamed through my windows and allowed myself to fall back asleep - until my door opened. i didn't open an eye or acknowledge who came in until i heard a whisper.

"bb." mattia whispered, kneeling on the side of my bed to level with me. a soft "hmm" vibrated from my lips as i kept my eyes shut.

bb stood for blair brooks, obviously. but it sounds almost like baby, and it made my body explode with butterflies every time he said it.

"hey, hi, uh. wake up." he whispered again, tugging at the blankets that covered me. i opened my right eye at him sleepily - he smiled at me softly, and pushed my hair out of my face as i held the blankets over my mouth.

"i'm late for school, but i wanted to tell you not to make plans tonight." i pulled my legs closer to my body and watched him quietly, he placed his hand on my shoulder over the blanket and squeezed it lightly. "did you hear me?" i nodded and response, opening my other eye at him to see him clearly. he was dressed in a light grey button up with black pants.

"are you going to church?" i mumbled before shoving my head into the pillow for a few seconds. he pushed me over in the bed, laying beside me.

"i just said i'm going to school."

"oh." i replied lazily, opening the blanket for him to get underneath, he declined by shaking his head softly as he pulled me close to him. "why are you dressed like you're going to church then?"

he leaned down a bit to kiss the top of my head, "i have a game today, and i want you to go with my family." i smiled gently at his words, not looking at him. he squeezed my shoulder once again before pulling himself out of bed to leave, he grabbed the edge of the blanket and tucked it under my side gently.

"don't forget." he stated, "ciao, bella." (translation: bye, beautiful) and with that, the door was shut and i was alone again. i turned over and placed my head where mattia laid before he left, the smell of his cologne still lingering on my bedding.

he knows exactly what he's doing.

i glanced at the time displayed in the clock beside my bed - 8:30. i grabbed the blanket and pulled it over my head to fall back asleep.

| time skip to the afternoon |

"ciao!" (translation: hi/hello) mr. polibio exclaimed to me as i walked over to their drive way.

"come stai?" (translation: how are you?) i questioned with a smile, standing beside him by at the car. he was dressed nicely, i'm assuming he had just gotten out of work.

"bene!" he said happily, "stiamo solo aspettando mirna." (translation: good, we're just waiting on mirna.) he smiled genuinely at me, opening the backseat car door for me to get in - i entered and watched as mrs. polibio and gianluca shut the front door and made their way over to the car. once everyone was settled in the car, we made our way over to the fields mattia was going to play at.

once we arrived, we walked from the car to the stands to watch the game, it was crowded - mainly with girls. we took a seat on the first line of seats, i sat beside gianluca behind mr. and mrs. polibio.

"are you two okay?" mrs. polibio asked, turning away from the game to look at us, speaking in a heavy accent. gianluca and i both nodded. mrs. polibio nudged mr. polibio's arm to get his attention on me, she pointed up at the necklace that hung around my neck.