Act 8: The Awakening of Ben Solo

Kef Bir, 35 ABY

The weight of time bore down upon Leia, a constant reminder echoed by Luke. Initially, she had tried to evade his words, knowing that reaching out to Ben would demand everything she had. Yet, she couldn't surrender just yet. There were still crucial lessons for Rey and Poe to learn, and she couldn't fail them. She couldn't abandon all she held dear and the hard-fought progress she had achieved. The Resistance relied on the flickering flame of hope that she had to keep alive.

Luke's insistence persisted. "You must make an attempt to reach Ben, Leia," he reiterated. "There's only one path left, and you are the only one who can walk it."

Leia feigned ignorance, pretending not to hear or see him. "May the galaxy spare us from stubborn older brothers and their ways."

A smugness tinged Luke's response, "I was born a few minutes before you, sister. You can't hide from this truth. You must reach out to Ben."

Leia's mind drifted back to the tender moments when she cradled her newborn son in her arms. In those early months, she embraced the role of a nurturing mother, soothing Ben's cries and finding solace in his presence. He sought comfort in the familiarity of her and Han's presence. During those fleeting moments, Leia felt like an ordinary mother, guided by love and the natural instinct to protect.

Somewhere along the line, though, the weight of responsibility had transformed her. She couldn't pinpoint the exact moment when she had transitioned from a mother to a strategic general. The demands of the Resistance, the battles fought, and the sacrifices made had gradually taken their toll. In the midst of the turmoil, she found herself losing hope for Ben. The weight of despair settled upon her, and she questioned when exactly she had relinquished that spark of optimism she once held for her son.

'My child is my child. My child holds my soul in his heart, and my heart is forever his.' She strongly believed that. 'He has my support for always and my guidance.' The memory broke her heart. Because she eventually turned her back to Ben. Afraid there was too much Vader in him. Her actions almost surrendered him to the darkness. She had made so many mistakes. So much time was lost.

'I would walk through the gates of hell to keep him safe.' she said back then. But she never did. She felt guilty as there were times she was more worried about the Resistance than Ben. Ben was a sacred gift, Hans and hers. She knew she was not responsible for the adventures and risks he would take in his life. But she could be there to guide him through the dark times. She was not.

Perhaps by making an effort to comprehend Ben, as she grasped Rey's perspective. If she had stood beside him, supporting him at every turn, perhaps he would have never succumbed to the allure of the dark side. She had been consumed by her dedication to leadership and the weighty responsibilities entrusted to her. From that day forward, she had shared that burden, never wavering.

Leia sighed with a heavy realization. She had it backward. Her decision until now never included Ben. Of course, she loved her son. She knew the light tempted Ben. She could sense it from time to time. But again, she did nothing about it. Rey had shared with her some of her time with Kylo Ren. She also felt the conflict inside him. If Vader could become Anakin again, Kylo Ren could become Ben. But even if he never turned to the light, she would still love him.

She had a moment of clarity as Luke's message finally sank in. Both of them had been mistaken in the past, lacking trust in Ben. If only she had given herself the chance to observe him more closely. The extraordinary and uncontrolled power that resided within him had never been inherently aligned with the dark side. However, over time, he succumbed to its allure. He fought against it for years, constantly tormented by Snoke, who poisoned his mind and soul.