Act 76: The Proposal

Millennium Falcon,38 ABY

His head was pounding. Bladder full. He moved his jaw and felt that his mouth was dry; as he moved, he felt concrete and grit push into his face. He slowly pulled up his large frame leaning against the Falcon's metallic wall, and his temporarily dislocated spirit tried to reconnect to his body. He had woken up from one more night of his past haunting him; he was pale, panting, and filled with sweat. He was a somewhat brave person, but sometimes he didn't want to feel the process of recovery all over again.

But he had to.

A moment later, his mind had slowly returned to reality, and he recalled where he was. They were already inside the Falcon on their way back to Ajan Kloss; they spent yesterday in the Galactic City and decided later the same night to take their leave. Rey, Finn, and Jannah went one last time to the market shopping, and Ben spent the evening with Poe and Chewie talking about the wedding.

Ben could have a few more hours of sleep, but he was anxious about proposing to Rey. Rey. He thought and leaned over her softly kissing her forehead and watching her sleep for a while; he pulled the sheets and covered her naked form. Then he slowly crawled down the bed and reached for his black trousers and shirt. He wore them, climbed down the storage unit, and took a small break inside the bathroom to take care of his bladder.

He headed towards the cockpit and sat down at the pilot's seat. It calmed him a bit down; he could still not explain his link with the Falcon. Everyone was still sleeping, and soon Ben thought about which way he should ask Rey. He smirked in irony; if someone said to Kylo Ren back then that there would come a day he would be tense about asking Rey to marry him, he would not believe him.

"Are you ever going to rest?" Poe said to Ben, as Ben turned and found him taking a seat next to the co-pilot's seat.

Ben nodded, still not paying full attention to Poe. "Talked with Rey and agreed to make it official... " he sighed. "I suck at those things; how am I supposed to ask her?"

Poe typed a few new commands, waiting for the Falcon's vitals test. "You told us last night," he said with a hint of a smile, "Did you already forget?"

Ben turned his expressive dark eyes and stared at Poe as if he had lost track of time. "I have thought of so many ways, but neither..."

"Like Rey," Poe grumbled, and Ben nodded.

Poe grabbed the co-pilot's chair and stood up, gesturing to Ben to follow him. He sat down on the couch in the lounge and placed a small wooden box on the table. Ben followed him, sitting on the right, watching the TV, confused. "Open it!" Poe offered with a smile on his face.

Ben studied the wooden box way longer than he should, and then he took it and opened it. Inside were two silver engagement rings, their names carved on the inside. He was speechless, casting a glance over to Poe and then again fixing his gaze against the rings.

"Poe, how? Those are perfect! Thank you!" Ben smiled in earnest and tapped his friend's shoulder.

"Just make sure you wear the larger Ring." Poe nudged him, leaning against the couch and yawning, "I could sleep for days, he complained."

Ben tilted his head in a remark of Poe's note, "I think Rey's wouldn't fit me!" he teased back.

Poe lifted his arms, stretching a bit lazily, and pointed at the more massive ring, "No, they included your tracker inside the ring. So they can monitor you won't escape from Tatooine." he explained plainly.