Act 15: Exegol::The Downfall of the Last Order

Exegol, 35 ABY

Ben Solo was no more, but Rey was alive. Alive but half. A part of her had gone with him too. Even if her body was there, it was like something broke inside her. Something was missing. Their dyad. She had felt connected with him even before their last embrace. She had felt it during the first moments of his interrogation of her on Starkiller Base. Even before that.

Even while he claimed Kylo Ren as his true name, her encounters with Ben made her feel lightheaded, as though she was moving at light speed and in slow-motion all at once. Even during the moments, she had loathed him most. There was always something connecting her with him.

But not anymore. She reminded herself. Rey couldn't explain if their dyad's loss was because of her weakened state or cause Ben was gone. That line was repeating inside her mind again and again. She didn't get any response, nonetheless.

After a long time, it felt like an eternity; she moved. It was not her choice. The ruins had started to collapse and brought Rey back to reality. It was a hard reality, a reality without Ben Solo.

Rey took a deeper breath lifting her eyes towards the Resistance fleet. The dark army fought on, regardless of the Emperor's death. Many ships still fought in the sky. She couldn't help but wonder how many friends she had already lost in the black smoke.

Weary from the battle she strode towards the path she had entered. Her trip to the temple was much easier than getting out of it. But she found her way up and into Luke's spaceship. The vessel shot into the air rushing to join the remaining battle.

Her friends needed her.

She exited Exegol's dark atmosphere and joined the battle. An incoming Ship drew nearer to her, pulling up at the last second to merely graze the canopy of her craft. It fired towards her bringing her back to reality. Rey was spacing out frequently. It was not only because Ben was gone or because she couldn't feel their connection. The sorrow was wrecking her own actions. She turned left causing two of the enemy fighters to collide. She never was the fastest when it came to command a spaceship. But she was deadly. Her fingers hovered over the trigger as she went after the other fighter.

Enraged, Rey growled again, whipping her ship around to fly to the next target. Her actions were on point and lethal. She didn't seem to care about the outcome. If it would take her life while bringing down the First Order's last crafts, so be it. Her eyes were still in tears and red. Her body shaking from what had happened. And her denial to accept that Ben was gone started seeking in. Another fighter followed her and fired against her. But she easily evaded the fighter and flew deeper into the battle.

Poe noted Luke's craft from a distance and welcomed Rey. Her return brought hope to the Resistance. However, she didn't respond. It was like her body was soulless. Her mind acting upon to take down the enemy and aid her friends. But her inner world was crushed to ruins. How strange!

The moment Rey came back, Finn knew. He had sensed her death earlier. The awareness of her death almost cost him his life. Finn hadn't told her yet; that he was Force-sensitive and how important she was to him. He launched himself out of the turret seat and leaped for the cockpit.

"Chewie, I felt Rey. She is alive!" Finn told, with a big smile on his face. Rey was alive. They were winning the battle. Hope had risen again.

Chewie roared, something about Finn thinking positively. But he would only accept that Rey was alive after seeing her with his own eyes. He also pointed out that Finn should be back at the turret station watching their backs.

Though Finn was too enthusiastic about Rey being alive, he ignored that part. "I'm certain of it," he responded, scanning the horizon from the viewport. Scattered fragments were falling everywhere. Exegol was going to be a wasteland after this. Not that it had been heaven, to begin with. But all those Star Destroyers were going to smolder for years.