7. The Realization...

When Angel was twelve years old, her parents divorced

          When Angel was twelve years old, her parents divorced. And her mom had driven her to the custody hearing. 

'Now, the judge is gonna ask you some questions, and you have to answer them truthfully, okay?' Quinn Rivers asked, Angel, nodded with a frown. 

The truth was her dad was a mentally and emotionally abusive drunk who had ruined her whole childhood, but she still somehow loved him. Her therapist had even said that her father was the root of her problems, he had fucked up her head so much that she was scarred for life. 
Her dad had her moments where he could be caring, called her his little butterfly, but as soon as it was dark, she'd hide in her room but that didn't stop him. 

Quinn held her daughter's hand nervously as they walked in, "Can i speak to her alone?' Quinn nodded, Angel, going into the room with the judge. "Hi, I'm Judge Mathers." 

 "My name's Angel." She smiled. 

'That's such a pretty name." She smiled, "Now I'm going to ask you some questions, and i want you to answer them honestly, can you do that?' Angel nodded with a small smile, "Great, first question, who do you want to live with, your mom or your dad?' 

Asking a twelve-year-old that question was like letting a kid loose in a candy store, they didn't know what they wanted. Of course, Angel being Angel made a mental pros and cons list and the answer was obvious. 

'My mom.'

'And why is that?' 

'I don't have to worry about if she's happy or not.' Angel shrugged, 'With my dad, it's like a coin toss.' She explained. 'I can have fun with my mom without worrying if i need t hide later.' 

'Hide? What do you mean hide?' 

'When my dad drinks, he can get mean. He likes to scream and tell me things.' 

'Like what?' 

'Like i should've been swallowed.' She frowned. She knew what that meant at that age, and just by that, the judge had made a decision. 

________________________

'Full custody will go to Quinn Rivers.' 

Quinn never changed her last name when she got married to Elias. He was a prick, i think she knew that before she got married to him.