Chapter 9: Past, Present and Future

Felicia tosses and turns for what feels like hours trying to fall asleep but with no luck she gets up in hopes a nice hot drink will help lull her to sleep.

As she walks into the kitchen she notices someone else had the same idea as her.

"Can't sleep?" Felicia asks startling Charles who nearly spills his cup of tea.

"Oh, Felicia! You scared the bejesus out of me." Charles chuckles clutching his chest. "And, yes I can't sleep. But what about you why are you up so late?"

"I can't sleep either. I thought a nice cup of tea might help." Felicia answers.

"You know, it baffles me how I can see everyone sneak up behind me except you." Charles says as he begins making me a cup of tea.

"It's a psychic shield." Felicia replies.

"Psychic shield?" Charles questions.

"I can stop people reading my mind just like you and Emma Frost can." She explains. "Telepathy is an interesting and powerful thing."

"Are you telling me this whole time you've been able to read minds!" Charles says as he hands her a cup of tea.

"Mmhmm." Felicia nods before taking a sip.

"Amazing, so that's how I've never been able to read your mind." Charles marvels.

"I'm surprised you didn't find that out when you used Cerebro." Felicia chuckles. "That's why I was screaming out in pain. You broke my Psychic shield."

"That was me? I am so, sorry." Charles laments.

"That's quite alright, I was honestly more concerned that you'd read my mind." Felicia smiles as she gazes into Charles' eyes.

Felicia peers down into her cup of tea blushing but her cheeks quickly go back to normal as thoughts of the previous night arise in her mind causing her heart to ache.

"What's wrong love?" Charles asks as he takes a step closer to her.

"The other night." Felicia say sheepishly. "'Ignorant, immature waste of a human girl and I'm glad at least Moira appreciates my help.' What did you mean by that?"

"Well I-Err ..." Charles stutters embarrassed by his previous actions. "...I thought by letting the others wreak the place you'd shown your true colours... and that you... didn't truly appreciate my help. Now I see that you were just happy to be around others like yourself. I am truly sorry, love."

Charles reaches out to caress Felicia's cheek, but she quickly turns her head still feeling torn about the man in front of her. 

"Do you like Moira?" Felicia asks bluntly taking Charles by surprise.

"Of course, she's a lovely woman and I'm glad we have her help." Charles answers honestly. "But if you're asking what I think you're asking... then no, our relationship is strictly professional."

"Moira, told me you made advances on her the same night you made advances on me." Felicia replies her heart aching both from being hurt by Charles and yet also wanting to be with him.

"Okay, I did have some feelings for her but they're just something about you Felicia." Charles explains. "I've never been one to believe in fate but I feel like our paths were destined to cross one way or another. When I first met you I felt this spark and since then I can't help but feel drawn to you, and whenever I'm in your presence I feel like I'm-." 

"Home?" Felicia inquires finishing Charles' sentence.

"Exactly, I feel like I'm where I meant to be." Charles replies. "An when I was in Russia I felt as if a part of me was missing, like an incomplete puzzle."