Meet the Fam - AU (Part 3) - Finale

By the time Steve and Thor came to the kitchen, they were almost done eating.

"There's pancakes on the table for you two," Tony said as greeting to the gobsmacked Steve Rogers and delighted Thor, the latter having seemed to not notice the fact that there were kids there.

"Thank you, man of Iron!" Thor bellowed as he practically inhaled the chocolate pancakes without sitting down.

"It's Tony, Thor." The genius corrected.

"Ah, yes, Anthony!"

Tony facepalmed with a chuckle that was somewhere between frustration and amusement. "Good enough."

"Why are there...." Steve trailed off, looking at each of the three children in turn, then Pepper, then to Tony for an explanation.

"If you're looking for the word, it's children, Rogers," Tony replied, a smirk to his lips and all snark for a moment. "There are children here. And I thought those seventy years might have had an effect on your eyeballs."

He might have kept going, but Pepper slapped him lightly on the shoulder. "Tony, be nice," she chided.

"I am nice," he whined, shoulders slumping in defeat even as he said so. The three children snickered along with Bruce and Clint. It might have been a trick of the light, but he thought he saw Natasha's lips tilt up in amusement before she stole a bite of Clint's pancakes with her fork.

The archer squawked like a bird and reached for it. Natasha held it just out of reach and then stuffed it in her mouth.

"Nat!"

A few seconds later Clint was chasing the other superspy into the livingroom. Tony and Pepper's children had finished eating and with one look at their mischevious eyes, Pepper dismissed them from the table and they ran off to join the two spies.

"I have to get to the office," Pepper said, putting her dishes in the sink.

"I could just excuse you," Tony said, beginning to clean up the table. Thor was still eating while Steve stood off to the side, seeming to not have his voice back.

Pepper just rolled her eyes and kissed him before stepping out toward the elevator after giving a nod of acknowledgement toward the Captain.

Tony turned to fill the sink with soapy water with a barely audible hum in his throat as he sang a small tune. It took him a few moments that he and Steve were now the only ones in the kitchen, Thor having finished his food and Bruce going to explore 'Candyland.'

"Mr. Stark-"

"Tony, Cap," the genius corrected. He was still on the fence on if he liked Steve as a friend or not, but when people said 'Mr. Stark' he was always reminded of his father. Even if just for half a second. Half a millisecond.

He hated it and would rather his worst enemy call him Tony.

"Tony," Steve amended. "I wanted to say... I'm sorry."

The brunette paused in where he was scrubbing away a stubborn patch of syrup from a plate and turned his head to face the leader of the Avengers. "What ever for?" He asked, confused.

"For what was said on the helicarrier. I shouldn't have said that. I was wrong. You proved me wrong, but I never should have believed it in the first place."

Tony stared at him, mouth slightly open. Absentmindedly, he dried his hands on the nearest towel and turned completely to face the blonde as he spoke words he didn't think he's hear. Yes, he'd been offended, upset, and slightly hurt that his idol from his child days had said that to him, but Tony had said bad things, too.

His silence must have worried the man, because he pushed on. "It was very out of line of me. I- the report- it was false." He began to fumble with his words, but Tony could tell it wasn't because he wasn't being earnest, but because of the silence. Tony tended to babble when there was silence, but it seemed Steve had taken up that job, if less eloquently than he would have been.

The man lost his words, letting out little syllables that didn't make sense. His deep blue eyes were filled with guilt as he turned them toward his shoes, rubbing the back of his neck anxiously.

"Slow down, Steve," Tony said, deciding a nickname was not appropriate in this situation. "I should also be apologizing. I shouldn't have said what I did, even if it was the septer's influence increasing our anger and annoyance. You are more than what came from a bottle- you are ... well, you, and that's how you became who you are today. Smart, brave, strategic Captain America."

Steve closed his mouth, then opened it. "And you are more than a suit. You're the man who created it, and it would be nothing without you."

Tony smiled. It wasn't a forced one, like he did for the press most of the time, but a genuine one that he didn't even have to think about as it spread across his lips. "Thank you, Steve. I accept your apology."

"And I accept yours."

"Truce?" Tony held out his hand.

"Truce," Steve said, reaching forward and shaking his hand with a strong, firm grip, but not strong enough to crush his bones like he knew the super soldier could.

A handshake may be a simple movement, but it meant so much more in all situations. It could be a sign of agreement, or truce, or, as Tony hoped this one would be, a sign for possible friendship.

A thud and bouts of laughter made the two turn their heads toward the livingroom where they could just see Clint having been tackled by Harley and Peter, Morgan on Natasha's shoulders where they stood off the side, watching with noticeable smiles.

He didn't think he'd yet to witness the read headed agent look so relaxed.

Bruce and Thor were on the couch, the former sipping tea he got from... somewhere, and the latter cheering on the 'sons of Stark!'

Clint was laughing breathlessly on the ground, splayed out against the plush carpet.

"Should we go help him?" Steve asked.

"Probably."

The blonde snorted and he and Tony made their way into the livingroom, which ended up being a mistake a few minutes later as Tony started being chased around by his kids, large grins on everyone's faces as they laughed the hours away.

Yeah, the team would be a great addition to Tony's family.

I'm sorry for the late update... the extremely late update *hides* homeschool, writer's block, and just pure distraction got in the way, but here you go. Even if it isn't as good as I'd like it to be.