An Airfield for a Wanderer

It was cool in the shade of the red oak tree. Red oak trees were scattered about in the forest, the trees 70 to 100 feet tall. There, within the shade, was a wolf with brownish blond hair, like woven honey, pieces of strawberry blond scattered about. No one would notice this wolf at first, hiding well within the shade with streaks of sunlight peeking through the leaves. This wolf was alone. No pack in sight. That, was Oliver.

Every year, a gathering of wandering wolves would come out to an abandoned airfield. This location in particular was located in the northern territory. The airfield was within the forest, the asphalt and cement overrun with undergrowth and plants growing between the cracks. Wanderers were wolves that had no pack. Their pack had either been killed from a rival pack or they had been forced out. Rogues were those who were dangerous. They were killing machines. Their mind was set to either kill or be killed. They had red eyes, foamed at the mouth, and had oily matted fur. They were werewolves who had lost their minds from being rejected by their mate (the process taking a few years to make the grieving person go insane) or their mate was killed; the insanity almost instantaneous.

Oliver had come every year since he left his pack. The gathering's purpose was to find your mate. If you did, then you would finally be accepted into their pack. Packs from all over would send their unmated wolves to these gatherings. There were only five gathering spots in the country. The North, South, East, West and Central areas of the countries had a gathering location. It was the third year Oliver had gone, before hearing someone say they could smell a submissive alpha. That they wouldn't mind using them as a quick fuck before meeting their mate. Oliver only looked afar from that point on.

Today, Oliver's friend Gabe had a gut feeling he would find his mate today. They had met at the airfield years back and clicked right away. Gabe ran away from his pack too, mostly because the son of the alpha wanted to keep him on the side to use him as a sex toy and practice hardcore BDSM on him. Gabe was an omega with dark brown fur and chocolate brown eyes. Oliver thought he was pretty cute as far as guys went. He only hoped that the guy's mate wasn't a total dillweed.

"I'm telling you Ollie! Today's the day! I just know it," Gabe said, bouncing around in his birthday suit. Oliver just watched him, used to his antics.

"Chill Gabe, you always say that," Oliver said, shifting out of his wolf form, leaning back against the oak tree.

"Yeah, but this year for sure!" Gabe said, "at least you look hotter then I do! All lean muscle with abs. Abs Ollie!"

Oliver just rolled his eyes. Ever since the day he left his pack, the last thing that happened to him in the pack gave him really low self esteem. Oliver wasn't sure if Gabe was being real with him about his looks, or just being nice.

"Shorter then most alphas, with scars," Oliver said.

"That make you look bad ass! I look like a noodle!" Gabe whined.

"First off, I told you you're hella cute and you've been working out to get an ass thing going. You and the sun are enemies so you're just stuck being pasta color," Oliver laughed. Gabe flushed, throwing a stick at Oliver who moved his head to the side so he wouldn't get hit.

"Yeah... but you can fight. You're strong," Gabe mumbled, sitting cross legged on the grassy floor.

"Doesn't change that I'm a submissive," Oliver said quietly, looking away. Oliver's wolf was small though. His wolf was larger than Gabe's, who was an omega, but no larger then a betas'. When you shifted into your wolf form you had heightened senses. Eyesight, scent, speed, healing. It was awesome.

Oliver took in a deep breath, looking back at Gabe who was sadly looking at the ground. Oliver felt a tightness in his chest. Gabe was his only real friend since he left his pack.